Only problem with the outdoorsmans bino tripod adapter

FattyBinz

FNG
Like a lot of people here, I love the outdoorsman's bino tripod adapter. The one thing that I don't like about it is that even when I tighten everything up, my binos will pivot side to side. The stud is smooth, and so it slides left to right. It helps to really tighten that top adjustment down, but then it takes some doing to undo it. I think this would be a perfect adapter if the stud were textured or ribbed so that it is clamped in place when you tighten everything. Wondering if I'm the only one bothered by this?

I think the intent of the tightening of the knob is to prevent the plunger from being depressed and the binoculars accidentally falling off the stud. This is nice when quickly relocating glassing spots with tripod over shoulder with head and binos attached.

The side to side play is nice when panning. You can made fine adjustments to level your binos using just your brows on the eyecups. At first I was skeptical but have grown to like the side to side play.

fatrascal

WKR
It doesn't bother me. But if you want to remedy the problem then grind a flat spot in the groove where the spring loaded plunger clips into the groove on the stud. Fatrascal.

I have the Outdoorsmans stud and adapter and a bunch of other Outdoorsmans stuff. They are innovators and make quality.

Kramer Designs has another bino stud and adapter that is also very impressive. I spent a bit of time at his booth this last Sheep Show in Reno. I honestly think it might be superior to the Outdoorsmans and he will press his stud on EL’s just the same.

pirogue

WKR
Hard to tell from that Kramer link, but if had a post, that didn’t require spreading the binos when you slip them over the post, and 2) permitted the center of binos to be mounted directly over the center of tripod, would be huge improvements over the Outdoorsman.

sndmn11

WKR
Hard to tell from that Kramer link, but if had a post, that didn’t require spreading the binos when you slip them over the post, and 2) permitted the center of binos to be mounted directly over the center of tripod, would be huge improvements over the Outdoorsman.

Yes to both.

ChrisAU

WKR

Do the barrels of your binos touch when viewing through them? I don’t have to alter the IPD of mine to put them on the Outdoorsmans post and I’m generally close to maxed out as far as narrow IPD.

pirogue

WKR
Do the barrels of your binos touch when viewing through them? I don’t have to alter the IPD of mine to put them on the Outdoorsmans post and I’m generally close to maxed out as far as narrow IPD.

No, but I have to spread and then remeld on the ELs