Only takes about 1 minute

Rucker61

WKR
Response from my Senator:

Dear Xxx:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the status of the gray wolf as an endangered species. I appreciate hearing from you.

An animal or plant may be a candidate for federal protection under the Endangered Species Act if, according to the Secretary of the Interior, a significant economic or growth-related factor is threatening its livelihood.

Due to decreasing numbers in the species population, the gray wolf has been protected under the Endangered Species Act since 1967. While gray wolves have rebounded to some degree in the Northern Rockies in recent years, several recent court decisions have recognized the continued importance of protecting this species and prevented delisting efforts by both the Bush and Obama Administrations. I appreciate you taking the time to weigh-in on this legislative matter and want to ensure you that I intend to monitor this issue very carefully.

As you may know, during the 112th Congress, legislation supporting decreased protections for the gray wolf were introduced in both the Senate and the House. In the Senate, Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah introduced S. 249, a bill to amend the Endangered Species Act of 1973 to provide that Act shall not apply to any gray wolf (Canis lupus). S.249 would have removed any protections granted to the gray wolf by the Endangered Species Act. This bill was referred to the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works for further consideration.

In the House, Rep. Denny Rehberg of Montana introduced H.R. 509, to amend the Endangered Species Act of 1973 to provide that Act shall not apply to the gray wolf (canis lupus). H.R. 509 would also have removed any protections granted to the gray wolf by the Endangered Species Act. This bill was referred to the House Committee on Natural Resources.

Please rest assured, should either piece of legislation be reintroduced and come before the full Senate for a vote, I will keep your thoughts and concerns in mind.

I value the input of fellow Coloradans in considering the wide variety of important issues and legislative initiatives that come before the Senate. I hope you will continue to inform me of your thoughts and concerns.

For more information about my priorities as a U.S. Senator, I invite you to visit my website at http://bennet.senate.gov/. Again, thank you for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Michael F. Bennet
United States Senator

Please do not reply to this message. If you would like to send a message to Senator Bennet, please submit a form at http://bennet.senate.gov/contact. Thank you.