Ontario Moose

naters113

FNG
My buddy and I are doing a self guided Ontario archery cow moose hunt and it will be our first time up in this region.

Our main question as it will just be he and I with no cell service to speak of is would you recommend we both have Garmin In Reach Explorers or one and a pair of walk-in talkies?

If you have another GPS/communication you recommend I would love to hear it but since we will be up there by ourselves we know some GPS communication device is necessary.

Any walkie talkies that you guys like for hunting that don’t totally blow out the hunting area when you are using them?

Thank you for you info and expertise.

Nelsesmp

FNG
I use the small garmin and think it worlds great. It’s small and overall cost is not bad. I did not have it when I was in Canada but I am sure it works! There are a few new ones that I don’t know much about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLW66

FNG
I've been to Ontario and Manitoba and will be in Manitoba in September, if nothing changes between now and then. I take an InReach Mini with me. Cell service is something that you just cant count on. If you can get it, I would assume its not going to be great reception. I have had no luck with walkie talkies, I have had three pair and none of them worked at more than a few hundred yards. Both times I went, the guides stressed the hearing ability of the moose and we tried to be as quiet as possible. Just saying, one guide said i paddled the canoe too fast and too loud. So, i am sure you dont want the squawkie to be going off while you are trying to hunt. When you get up there you will find out how quiet it can be and how far sound travels on water. Its a really cool experience. Best of luck to you, its worth the effort.

JLW66

FNG
My post above assumes you are float plane into a lake in the wilderness. Location dependent. Also, if you buy a used InReach, make sure you understand the process of assigning it to you as the owner. Things may have changed but when i was looking at getting a used one, there were some issues around the unit could be locked and you had to unlock it from the previous owner kind of thing. You dont want to buy a Garmin paper weight.