Ontario self-guided moose

Raberd14

FNG
Hey guys, I'm looking in to doing a self-guided ontario moose hunt with my father next year (2020). Anybody have any recommendations as far as outfitters or areas to check out? Or previous forums where this has been discussed? We're probably interested in rifle tags, Personally I'd love to do archery, but he's getting older and would prefer the rifle hunt. Drop camp would be ideal I think, just looking for a good spot without spending my life savings! Thanks for any help in advance!

gbflyer

WKR
Could be wrong but I thought Canada was guide only for non-citizens. Maybe you are one or maybe Ontario is different. Anyway, not much help other than I’d like to hunt with my neighbors in the YT. Every kind of game animal imaginable there and fine folks.

squirrel

WKR
Look at and around Nakina. I went with twin lakes a few years back. Low success rates but cost was low as well Hunt was fine, no moose but that was my brother's fault, shoulda had one bull. If done again I would take bow... and better hip waders!

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
Check out outfitters in the Kenora to Sioux Lookout area, start calling around, see who would allow you to book with them but do your own thing, some will allow that. Find an outfitter who has a camp on a lake where he is the only camp on that lake or lake system, fly-in would be most common, this will limit the number of locals you will have to compete with. Good luck!

I hunted thru Kashabowie outposts in Atikokan and Thousand lakes outposts and had a successfull trip each time. Look them up online. I would reccomend both. I did the archery hunt.

OP
Raberd14

Raberd14

FNG
Thanks for the tips guys. Y'all are the best, I'll start digging in to this, and let you know what I come up with!

OP
Raberd14

Raberd14

FNG
Could be wrong but I thought Canada was guide only for non-citizens. Maybe you are one or maybe Ontario is different. Anyway, not much help other than I’d like to hunt with my neighbors in the YT. Every kind of game animal imaginable there and fine folks.
Ontario I believe is the only province you can go unguided. That's why I wanna go there. Can't afford a guided hunt. And on your own stuff is way more rewarding.

The other posters have given you some good advice, stick to the far northwest part of Ontario. The moose herd I Ontario is way down in the last ten years, especially central and east in the province.

I think the way it works for non-residents in Ontario is that you can’t fully go DIY but you don’t need a guide as long as you work through an outfitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLW66

FNG
im headed up to Red lake, mid September. I will have to look at the compass in the plane when we take off. Hopefully its pointed northwest!;)

Chugaglug

FNG
fly out trips in the wabakimi through thunderhook fly-ins, Armstrong ON. They get booked out a couple years in advance though.