OnX and Apple Watch?

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
My anniversary is coming up and I'm thinking I'm gonna buy my wife an Apple Watch. Trying to decide between series 1 and series 2. The series 2 has gps and glonass. has anyone tried using onX and an Apple Watch? If it works I might go that route and convince her to let me use it elk hunting this fall. I would be using it along with my iPhone and onX app

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
Really, your gauging what to get your wife for her B-day present based off of how it will or will not work for your own use. It may have just come out wrong or read into it wrong but it sure does not sound right to me.

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
She's getting the Apple Watch. There's 2 models available. 1 has gps ($399) and the other does not ($299). She will never use the gps feature on the model that does. But if it works on onX maps then I'll get the model that has gps and use it for 1 week out of the year. I guess I am a bad husband. Or maybe I just know my wife better than a forum poster.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
Okay, I get it now.

As for the OnX do you use the app now? I have run it for two years now and just do not think it would be all that great on the watch. The whole reason for using the app version for me started with wanting a bigger screen. What functions of OnX do you want to use on the Apple Watch?

Anyways the app is not bad but for everything other than land owner stuff I have gone to running Gila 95% of the time. I much prefer the UI of Gila and like their maps better too.

Last edited:
OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
I thinking it's used more like you plot the point on the phone and put the phone in your pocket and let the Watch sync with it and guide you there via compass (arrow) as well as tell you pace and ETA without digging the phone out. Plus the watch can acquire gps better than phone from what I've read. The screen is only 42mm. I'm sure you can see the map but for actual detail you use the phone.

At least that's how I envision using it. Others may know better.

I would double check and see if you have the capability to use your Apple Watch. In a quick search it doesn't appear to be supported for that app. I love my onx on my iPhone. I use my suunto in combination with it and I really like it.

Is it even possible for a guy to go hunting anymore, without all the latest/greatest electronics on the market? If you want one, why not just buy one for yourself? In my best Dean Wormer voice (substitute fat,drunk and stupid) with deceptive, sneaky and techie, is no way to go thru life, son......

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
how do you use your suunto in combination with it?

and battery life...i'll already be carrying 20,000 mah charger with me for the phone so i dont see that as an issue

does no one have On X and a iwatch to see if they even work together?

I do not have an Apple Watch but my sister has the newest one and I called her to see if she could download the onX app to her watch. It doesn’t allow her too but she can download Gaia. If I had an Apple Watch I would pay for Gaia. Great GPS app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are correct, no xmaps for the Apple Watch yet. I emailed them yesterday so I’m not sure what that other website was?