OnX coming up for renewal should I look at competition?

My OnX app is coming up for renewal and wanted to know if there is a better app for the purpose?

I have heard positive things about Gaia and listened to the Kifarucast about Basemap

What’s the consensus out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
I tried Basemap last year and I didnt care for it. I had used OnX for a couple years prior to that and I find their interface to be a little easier to run. This is most likely because I have used it for longer and trying to learn a new one was a bigger pain than I wanted it to be. I never had a single problem with Basemap not working or its capabilities.

TSAMP

WKR
If you stick with onX don't be afraid to reach out and inquire about a discount. I renewed recently and kept getting emails about signing up for 20 or 30 percent discount but it was for new members only. They agreed to offer the same to me even though I was an existing customer.

I think Gaia is better. It loads super fast has been super accurate and they have a ton of layers. It is also cheaper, you get all fifty states for 39 dollars. I believe they also have a discount which knocks it down to thirty for the year. The one and only issue I had their customer support was awesome.

I tried Basemap last year and I didnt care for it. I had used OnX for a couple years prior to that and I find their interface to be a little easier to run. This is most likely because I have used it for longer and trying to learn a new one was a bigger pain than I wanted it to be. I never had a single problem with Basemap not working or its capabilities.
I also tried it last. Year. Still has issues loading from time to time. Interesting side Note. My property we own out right since January 2020 that was 10 acres split into 2 parcels of 5 acres is listed as my adjoining neighbors property that bought their's well after me...With the continued digital issues and a proven wrong property name owner I'm out. Back to OnX for me.. Android platform..

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
What don't you like about OnX? I tried both Basemap and Gaia last year. You can try both for free albeit with limited features. I prefer the layout and ease of use of OnX. A discount code got a year of the entire US for 60 bucks.

cnelk

WKR
So Gaia shows property owners? Andi it works on iPhones?
Yes sir. And All 50 states for $30 +/-

I swore OnX got my last dime but some of my friends have it and some have Gaia, so I’m going with both platforms.

But OnX is on a very, very short leash for now.

jjgrow

FNG
My hunting group uses GAIA and we're pretty happy with it. It's slightly more iPhone-centric but not a big deal. No experience with OnX or Basemap, so I can't speak to what those platforms might offer over GAIA. It's hard to beat the GAIA price for all that it gives you. They frequently release new features and layers. It's my opinion that GAIA has the advantage as they primarily target the hiking world which is a much larger audience and hence a bigger market that can support their business.

wapitibob

WKR
I've owned all three and still use onX. Gaia has much better data organization than onX but has a busier interface. Basemap is just odd and you still have to delete user data one item at a time. Imagine testing it and importing 500 waypoints/tracks then having to delete them one by one...

WyoKid

WKR
Huge discussion already on Gaia and onX - check out:

Sometimes I trial it. Spend thirty minutes running lines for borders wherever you're gonna hunt on your main account.
Unless you need to contact land owners. But county parcel maps usually have this info and their own maps these days.

Disclaimer: I have an onx membership now because of the amount of different places I get to hunt this year. I only do the cheeky line s**t for places I'm in a lot, so I don't need to renew...

When I don't have any memberships to any I will use basemaps or gaia for property lines.

DanimalW

WKR
I like OnX better than BaseMap, but Gaia seems good too (I just use the free version for hiking right now). But I can’t imagine OnX being twice as good, since it’s twice the price of the other options. Maybe they can command a 10-15% premium over their competition, but not double the price. They all have satellite imagery, landownership, and tracking. What else do you really need?

I’ve tested them all, and Gaia is what I use. Because it has more advanced features and layers, it has a bit of a learning curve so if you’re on the low end of tech savvy, it might not be the best choice.

AZ8

WKR
Very satisfied with OnX. It helps that all my hunting partners also use it, so it’s easy for us to share and plan things out.

One feature I wish any of these apps had is the ability to show or share a location of a user OFFLINE similar to how the Garmin Rinos work. It‘d be nice to shoot a waypoint to my hunting partner 2 miles away letting him know that I’ve got a bull down along with a location. Most places we hunt have zero cell service.