OnX coming up for renewal should I look at competition?

DanimalW

WKR
Very satisfied with OnX. It helps that all my hunting partners also use it, so it’s easy for us to share and plan things out.

One feature I wish any of these apps had is the ability to show a location of a user OFFLINE similar to how the Garmin Rinos work. It‘d be nice to shoot a waypoint to my hunting partner 2 miles away letting him know that I’ve got a bull down along with a location. Most places we hunt have zero cell service.
I don’t think any of them have that technology without satellite communication. But I can believe that’s not being sold as a built in option with $1000 phones yet...

AZ8

WKR
I don’t think any of them have that technology without satellite communication. But I can believe that’s not being sold as a built in option with $1000 phones yet...
Yeah I know none offer it. It was just a wish list idea. It would be an amazing feature for those of us that hunt in the backcountry without service.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
Can you transfer all your data, waypoints and tracks, from OnX to one of the other apps? I've had great luck with OnX ever since they were HuntingGPS Maps but I'm always looking.

Can you transfer all your data, waypoints and tracks, from OnX to one of the other apps? I've had great luck with OnX ever since they were HuntingGPS Maps but I'm always looking.
This. If you have a lot of stored data, may be more trouble than it's worth.

The apps are only as good as the gps data received by your phone, regardless of whose app it is.

Yes. Most of these apps have the ability to export to KML or KMZ files which can be transferred to other apps. Now, the specific icons may not transfer because those are different between apps.

hilts

FNG
I have only used OnX, but am getting sick of them being 2 plus years behind on property owner changes in Wisconsin. Might have to check the others out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have only used OnX, but am getting sick of them being 2 plus years behind on property owner changes in Wisconsin. Might have to check the others out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If that’s the main issue, check some that you know are outdated while on a trial period with another app. Some of these issues are dependent on county records, and it won’t matter what mapping app you use.

Jethro

WKR
My ONx is set to renew in July and I am going to upgrade from 1 state I have to all 50. I like it and all my hunting friends have it too. I also have Gaia and like that too. Gaia has way more maps and overlays than I'll ever use but I like having both on my phone.

For those of you thinking about Gaia, if you get the free app and get your account set up, then contact Gaia and tell them you are thinking about buying the full version and would like a trial. They can set your account to give you full access for 30 days to try everything.

Jimss

WKR
This may be a dumb question but do any of them offer a chip or ipohon connection that is permanent so you aren't charged a yearly fee? I know landownership changes once in a great while but I really don't care about that feature. I have the old OnX chip that I place in my gps for Wyo that works just as well for me now than it did 10+ years ago.

Jimss

WKR
I noticed that it's still possible to buy state chips for $119. Does anyone know where to pick one up for cheaper? It would only take 4 years to pay off with yearly fees and I would rather buy one and be done.

Rob5589

WKR
I noticed that it's still possible to buy state chips for $119. Does anyone know where to pick one up for cheaper? It would only take 4 years to pay off with yearly fees and I would rather buy one and be done.
The chips need to be updated, if you want the most current info, which you have to pay for.

bigmooi

FNG
I tried OnX as I heard about it from my relator who was paying for it, I just used the trial offer, I like that it offered land owners names and seemed pretty easy to use. but would like a cheaper option...biggest complaint I read about the OnX suite was they didn't offer a package discount if you wanted to use all their apps, but that may have changed with more competition in the market...

come2elmo

WKR
This may be a dumb question but do any of them offer a chip or ipohon connection that is permanent so you aren't charged a yearly fee? I know landownership changes once in a great while but I really don't care about that feature. I have the old OnX chip that I place in my gps for Wyo that works just as well for me now than it did 10+ years ago.
Everything software related is going subscription model. Investors like steady revenue streams and it helps pay for developing a supporting the product. Old gps isn’t going to have all the handy features of the online and mobile devices. But if it does what you need you are good to go. I apply all over the place and never know where I am going to hunt from year to year so I need the flexibility and that convenience costs.

Bushfire

Lil-Rokslider
Switched to Basemap for 2 weeks nothing but issues. Their service acted like they cared but surely didn't. Had a friend try it 10 months later and he had same issues as me. They didn't refund money.

OnX...

BaseMap

Switched to Basemap for 2 weeks nothing but issues. Their service acted like they cared but surely didn't. Had a friend try it 10 months later and he had same issues as me. They didn't refund money.

OnX...
If you wouldn't mind sharing, what issues were you having? We have a great customer service team in place that is very responsive when issues come up.

How do the burn, land ownership, and timbercut layers compare to Onx? I need to renew as well and have been messing around with the free basemap app, but the free version doesn't teach me much

The more I use BM, the less I seem to care for it but I think that's the free version not really letting me wreak the benefits. Is there a trial for it that I just didn't see? So far, Onx seems more user friendly. Onx is slower though.