OnX coming up for renewal should I look at competition?

Rob5589

WKR
The more I use BM, the less I seem to care for it but I think that's the free version not really letting me wreak the benefits. Is there a trial for it that I just didn't see? So far, Onx seems more user friendly. Onx is slower though.
On my phone OnX works great. On my laptop it has become painfully slow. I need to contact them and see what they say

OP
F
On my phone OnX works great. On my laptop it has become painfully slow. I need to contact them and see what they say

So I am the OP and I let it renew last week. I was billed through my iPhone.

Today I logged on to it for the first time since the renewal and did it in my laptop. The laptop will not show the hybrid or satellite view at all and they are prompting me to upgrade my subscription.

It seems to be working on the phone but haven’t looked too closely yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
So I am the OP and I let it renew last week. I was billed through my iPhone.

Today I logged on to it for the first time since the renewal and did it in my laptop. The laptop will not show the hybrid or satellite view at all and they are prompting me to upgrade my subscription.

It seems to be working on the phone but haven’t looked too closely yet.

Double check to see which email you are logged into with on your phone and that it is the same one as your computer as it is linked to the same system. Feel free to give us a call at 406-540-1600 if you continue to have issues and we'll get you up and running.

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I like ON X except for the TOPOS. The topo maps lack detail to the level that they are almost worthless. I can't believe they don't do something about that.
We appreciate the feedback. We're happy to hear any more feedback on how we could improve our Topo map. Feel free to shoot us a message, email [email protected], or call 406-540-1600

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
The first thing to try would be to clear your browser's cache as that could be affecting the performance. If you're still having issues, get a hold of us and we'll look at a few other things!

OP
F
Double check to see which email you are logged into with on your phone and that it is the same one as your computer as it is linked to the same system. Feel free to give us a call at 406-540-1600 if you continue to have issues and we'll get you up and running.

They are both showing my saved content so I assume the email is correct.

BCD

WKR
We appreciate the feedback. We're happy to hear any more feedback on how we could improve our Topo map. Feel free to shoot us a message, email [email protected], or call 406-540-1600
I have contacted OnX in the past about this and was told you were working on an update to make the topos usable (a couple years ago). If you look at a USGS topo and compare it to Onx it is very obvious that the Onx version is severely lacking and almost worthless due to the lack of detail.

Jaeger62

FNG
I am just now tinkering with Gaia since I got a free year of Premium with my Zoleo. I've had OnX for roughly a year. One thing I've noticed is the private land owner information on Gaia is updated a lot faster than OnX. We bought land in New Mexico last summer and Gaia shows our current lien holder while OnX still shows the previous owner.

Based on that, I wouldn't really trust OnX if I were really trying to figure out who owns a piece of land.

So far, it looks like Gaia does everything that OnX does and maybe more.

JRMiller

WKR
I prefer Onx. Sure its appearance is outdated, but i does what its supposed to do and does it QUICKLY.
I gave Basemap a fair chance for over a year but just couldn't do it anymore.
It looks great, but its just too slow and clunky for me. I dreaded e-scouting on Basemap, it took ten times longer always waiting for things to load plus it always took 3-4 clicks for what takes 1-2 on OnX.
I tried it on two different phones, two desktops, and one laptop, all with 170ish mbs speeds.

tracker7

FNG
I have used both Huntwise and OnX and I really like OnX better

The app,is just easier to use to me and I like the sharing of maps and waypoints.

Me and a group of guys used it last year in Alabama and it worked great.

I downloaded the map I needed and was able to mark the points.

Even added a picture where I got my Buck.

sk-co

FNG
I've used Onx for the last couple years but my subscription is up so might give Gaia a try. I did the go hunt trial for their new mapping app and thought it was pretty decent but didn't want to spend the additional money for all the other features.

WyoKid

WKR
My OnX app is coming up for renewal and wanted to know if there is a better app for the purpose?

I have heard positive things about Gaia and listened to the Kifarucast about Basemap

What’s the consensus out there?

There was a discussion of Gaia and OnX at

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/buh-bye-onx-hello-gaia.193343/

I have tried BaseMap, OnX and Gaia. Definitely prefer Gaia in terms of price and features.

Gone4Days

WKR
FYI if you are a member of Expert Voice or Guidefitter, onX is 40% off. I get Premium for AZ every year for $17.99

c670809

FNG
I have used OnX for a few years. One of the things I dislike most is the way they handle downloading off-line maps. In all fairness Basemap does it pretty much the same way. I get the feeling that customer support tells you what they think you want to hear to keep a subscriber. I've been told for the last two years that an update to change how downloads are handled is just around the corner and will hopefully be out before hunting season. That was two years ago, asked last year and was told the same thing.

The way downloads are handled might not matter to you. I just recently got back into Mule deer hunting after about a 10 year break. I'm also in a new state with no friends who hunt. I don't know the units at all. When I scout, the first thing I do is drive around to really get a feel for the area. I might travel 200-400 miles in a weekend. That is a lot of area to download at a high resolution. It works fine once I've really narrowed down the area I want to hunt in. I also spend a lot of time off road with my dad. We cover a lot of area and it is very hard to download all of the areas we might travel in during the week.

In my experience, onX is better than Basemap. I've tried and bought basemap. Things are harder to do, slower and often crashes.

I have friends who like Gaia but I don't have any personal experience.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealGerman