OnX compass off by ~20 degrees

Venom One

WKR
Anyone else having issues with their OnX compass reading correctly? I noticed yesterday that OnX was pointing me too far to the right. I calibrated my phone compass several times until I got a HIGH accuracy reading, but OnX is still reading about +20 degrees. Google Maps reads North perfectly, but the OnX indicator is pointing about 020. Weird because OnX gets it's compass info from Google Maps.

This is problematic because it throws off the directional "blue fan" that points you back to your truck or camp. Twenty degrees is quite a bit.

If I open Google Maps and rotate my phone, with North lock OFF, the North indicator is able to track nicely and maintains a solid North heading. The movement is smooth and quick.

If I open OnX, and rotate my phone, the indicator is slow to settle on where it thinks North is. It's a bit jerky, over-rotating at times and wandering a bit before settling at about 020 degrees.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled OnX, but the problem remains. OnX has been contacted. I have a Samsung S21.

Anyone else seeing this issue?

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
If onx uses satellite for location does it use a calculation for declination?
I use it a little but still carry a compass. I've noticed it seems to lag directionally at times, then updates and jumps a ways.

OP
V

Venom One

WKR
If onx uses satellite for location does it use a calculation for declination?
I use it a little but still carry a compass. I've noticed it seems to lag directionally at times, then updates and jumps a ways.

I've noticed it be off and jumpy, but calibrating the phone compass always fixed it before. Not sure what's going on now. Seems to be the OnX app though as the phone/Google Maps are working.

On my backpack strap.

Same issue is occurring at my house though.
I haven't used OnX in years, but if I recall correctly from past experience, my compass would not adjust correctly unless I was moving. But I donot recall it being jumpy.

Could it be heating up, such as from the sun, an old battery...? I don't know if the compass operates via sat location, or magnetic with OnX, but if exposed to any magnets, eliminate them.

If you figure it out, please let us know.

I’ve noticed you have to give it a bit of time. Also downloading the offline maps helps tremendously. Also make sure the app is updated.

z987k

WKR
I've noticed it be off and jumpy, but calibrating the phone compass always fixed it before. Not sure what's going on now. Seems to be the OnX app though as the phone/Google Maps are working.
Does google use true north and Onx Magnetic?

In the PNW, your declination is about 15.5E

OP
V

Venom One

WKR
Does google use true north and Onx Magnetic?

In the PNW, your declination is about 15.5E

OnX pulls info from Google. Since Google works, I'm assuming the issue lies with OnX apps itself.

z987k

WKR
OnX pulls info from Google. Since Google works, I'm assuming the issue lies with OnX apps itself.
They get their map data from google, but I'd imagine the compass bearings are from your phone, and I'd imagine in magnetic off the phone's raw data. What an app does with that raw data sure can be different. Google might correct for declination in their app and OnX doesn't.

def90

WKR
I agree standing in one place compass function is something in your phone itself. As you move in a direction any errors should clear out.

OP
V

Venom One

WKR
They get their map data from google, but I'd imagine the compass bearings are from your phone, and I'd imagine in magnetic off the phone's raw data. What an app does with that raw data sure can be different. Google might correct for declination in their app and OnX doesn't.

That's an interesting thought. When I reported the issue to OnX, they sent me instructions for calibrating Google Maps. This confirmed for me that OnX is getting their bearing data from Google Maps. I have no idea how the phone determines bearings, but something in OnX software isn't translating the data right. I'll be curious to see if other's experience the same thing as hunting season ramps up.

OP
V

Venom One

WKR
Old school maps and a good compass will fix that.

True; pulling out a map and compass sounds like great fun. :) And props to people who can figure out where they are in the PNW jungle using a map when you can't see anything but forest.

I do carry a compass in case my phone, InReach and Garmin watch all fail.

I've noticed the same with OnX on two different Android phones (both Samsung) and yet other apps (GAIA, Google, GoHunt, Earthmate) work fine in this regard. It has been one of my chief concerns with OnX.

OP
V

Venom One

WKR
Could it be heating up, such as from the sun, an old battery...? I don't know if the compass operates via sat location, or magnetic with OnX, but if exposed to any magnets, eliminate them.

If you figure it out, please let us know.
I've experienced the same issue in the woods and at home. Phone temp is normal. OnX's response was to tell me to calibrate my phone via Google Maps.

I haven't used OnX in years, but if I recall correctly from past experience, my compass would not adjust correctly unless I was moving. But I donot recall it being jumpy.
I've experienced this with GPS devices that need initial movement for triangulation, but not my phone. OnX will be jumpy or wander about 40 degrees, much like GPS devices that haven't locked into solid tracking. If I switch to Google Maps, the tracking is solid. Weird. How does OnX use Google Maps, yet not function the same?