OnX compass problems

blue62

FNG
Has anyone had problems with the OnX compass pointing them in the wrong direction? I had this happen a couple times last fall. Maybe it was my phone I don’t know. My hunting partner was next to me with his phone and it was telling us to go the right direction while mine was malfunctioning.

I have had this happen with OnX and Gaia. It is your phone that dictates the compass direction, not the app. Things like magnetic Bino harness closers can mess it up. They can also get stuck on their own. Turning the phone upside down and smacking it can help it recalibrate.

That said, I keep a real compass handy at all times. If the phone direction looks off to me (like it’s point uphill when it should be perpendicular), I will break out the real compass to verify.

OP
blue62

blue62

FNG
I have had this happen with OnX and Gaia. It is your phone that dictates the compass direction, not the app. Things like magnetic Bino harness closers can mess it up. They can also get stuck on their own. Turning the phone upside down and smacking it can help it recalibrate.

That said, I keep a real compass handy at all times. If the phone direction looks off to me (like it’s point uphill when it should be perpendicular), I will break out the real compass to verify.
Great information, thank you. I do have a marsupial bino harness with the magnets. I was wondering if that would effect it.

Great information, thank you. I do have a marsupial bino harness with the magnets. I was wondering if that would effect it.
Ya. I do too. Got to be real careful with it.

Keep your phone in your pocket and try not to hold it too close to your chest.