OnX/ Forest Service Road Accessible label

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at some larger forest service areas and all roads are labeled as "Overland, high clearance, ATV,..." How often do you guys find you can make it through these in a non-lifted 4x4 pickup? I know one that is labeled as such and I made it fine a couple years ago, but it was unpleasant. They don't seem super steep, but would hate to spend an hour creeping up one and get blocked out a long ways from where we want to end up.

cfdjay

WKR
This is just part of the game. Probably the only consistency of road and trail terrain is the inconsistency.

Poser

WKR
Yeah, lots of interpretations of “4WD/High Clearance.” I’ve seen Subarus and mini vans get up such roads with no issue and a dude in a new lifted Jeep with $2000 tires driving the same road like he’s offroad in Moab, stopping to inspect rougher sections and head out the window to check clearance. Other roads of the same designation are terrible with river crossings scree fields. You often can’t know until you know. Seems to be the case that FS roads are deteriorating across the board and are only going to get worse as they have less and less budget for maintenance.

jolemons

WKR
I drove one road a few years back and the only other users were in atvs/utvs. After my hunt ended, I was talking with a search and rescue team member about where I was hunting. He speculated on how I drove in and suspected that I used an alternate route. When I explained which road I took he didn't believe me and made the comment that that particular road was only passable in an atv or utv. Point being, you never know just by look at a map. Call the local forest district and ask.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk