Onx / Gohunt discrepancy

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone ever seen a discrepancy in public land / private land between these two? I don’t mean something small, like 10’s of thousands of acres disparity.

I just started using GOHUNT and really like some of the features. Was in a unit in WY this weekend using it and noticed it was “off” from what I had previously seen with Onx. Onx shows this particular area as all BLM, about 160,000 acres if I recall correctly, which I believe to be correct based on signage and just general public usage. However GOHUNT shows this same area as mostly private with just a few chunks of BLM (I don’t recall the exact acreage but think it was about 50k total... quite the disparity and now I’m not sure if I trust either one.

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
Ran into this issue with OnX the other week. Walking to the back of a wma, I hit a property marker half way back.

Probably worth double checking OnX vs DNRs maps for public land while escouting just to be sure.

To add, land ownership is not stagnant, there are often changes in ownership. It takes companies like OnX, Gohunt and Basemap time to gather the info and update.

wytx

WKR
This is the reason we carry paper BLM land status maps for areas we hunt.
Any chance it is an area where BLM just bought a big ranch?

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
I have noticed in MT some discrepancies. The "owner" is correct but GoHunt/OnX must have different ways of identifying owners and symbolizing based on that. For instance, there is a state-owned section near me that appears in Gohunt as a public state section, in MT's Cadastral system it is a state-owned section, but in OnX, while it is labeled as State Land, it is not symbolized with the blue because the tax record calls it "Montana, State Of" instead of "State of Montana".

OP
John pettimore

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
This is the reason we carry paper BLM land status maps for areas we hunt.
Any chance it is an area where BLM just bought a big ranch?

I can’t say for sure but I believe the answer is no... a 100k acre purchase would have been pretty well advertised.

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
I have some recreational property. Came up one weekend and noticed a bunch of limb piles on one end of my property. Walked over and saw a bunch of trees were cut down. I was enraged. Got hold of the neighboring property owner who claimed he used OnX and talked to the county. He didn’t believe OnX was off that far (about 40 yards). This property has been in my family 60 years and I know every inch of it, I knew he was wrong. So I had it surveyed, what do you know, he was wrong. So I gave him the $3,000 invoice for the survey and told him I expect him to pay in full. Do NOT follow OnX…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk