OnX help

Mwilson

Lil-Rokslider
Ok fellas. I need some help. This is obviously my first year turkey hunting, and first year hunting public land. I’ve always had private land to hunt deer on. I have spent the last 2 weekends and a couple weekdays proverbially beating my head against the wall trying to get on some birds. I’m attaching 2 screenshots from OnX where I have found turkey tracks in the road (they’re marked on map), but I need some help on setting up, trying to project the possible roosting area, travel corridor, and tips on getting close enough for a shotgun kill. I know very Little about using onX, what terrain features to look for and focus on, the second screenshot is a location I haven’t set foot on, but it’s another area I’m looking at. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

OP
Mwilson

Mwilson

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s the map

Attachments

• C6A7E1CF-35CC-4790-BED2-D32C3E61BCA3.jpeg
    C6A7E1CF-35CC-4790-BED2-D32C3E61BCA3.jpeg
    388.9 KB · Views: 35

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
go out there early morning in the dark and call. They will gobble at you in their roost before fly down if you are within hearing distance. Hike around to different areas and do this in the dark until you’ve located some. This is turkey scouting.

Dunndm

WKR
I personally usually have the best success when I go up higher on open hills and set up 1-3 decoys in the open while hiding my silhouette in shade and with my back to a tree.

Then again.... the first reply is what you gotta really do. My advice is more for when you find them hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OFFHNTN

WKR
If you do not know for sure where they are roosting, I would not go walking around in the woods in the dark early in the morning. I would wait till about 8-9am, then go set up, do occasional calling and hope to catch a lonely tom. The hens will have gone to nest by mid morning, and/or the tom's will have moved on to find another, that's where you come in.

zacattack

WKR
Ok fellas. I need some help. This is obviously my first year turkey hunting, and first year hunting public land. I’ve always had private land to hunt deer on. I have spent the last 2 weekends and a couple weekdays proverbially beating my head against the wall trying to get on some birds. I’m attaching 2 screenshots from OnX where I have found turkey tracks in the road (they’re marked on map), but I need some help on setting up, trying to project the possible roosting area, travel corridor, and tips on getting close enough for a shotgun kill. I know very Little about using onX, what terrain features to look for and focus on, the second screenshot is a location I haven’t set foot on, but it’s another area I’m looking at. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

You can also go in the afternoon and listen for them to fly up to roost. Go back in the morning and just wait for them to fly down. I was always taught to never call to one that’s on the roost but maybe it works for some. If you have a shock call like a owl hooter you can locate them with it and then setup.

netman

WKR
Right at dark is the best time to roost a gobbler. Sometimes they will gobble their heads off right at dark and others they will gobble once or you may hear them fly up to roost if the wind is calm. Get there early in the a.m. and go set up within close proximity of the roosted bird. Cluck and purr quietly and get ready.

Just a sode note from what ive seen to as the weeks go on turkeys can move spots where they like, for example by my house theres almost never turkeys out in the fields but come mid may there out several times a day strutting around. All im saying is dont have yiur heart set on where your gonna hunt them, be ready to adjust your gameplan, good luck!