onX hunt inaccurate property lines

Praxeus

Lil-Rokslider
Had some trespassers on my property that were supposedly following onX hunts property lines. Was wondering if anyone here has experienced this. Wondering where onX gets their property status/ private property info/

PassCreek

FNG
We've had the same experience with trespassers. I believe OnX gets the information from the counties. The guys using the OnX maps treat them like they're gospel and that definitely isn't the case in some areas.

OP
P

Praxeus

Lil-Rokslider
Im wondering with these types of errors if OnX takes responsibility for this. Im going to be contacting them regading this

No they do not. They have a disclaimer stating that. And, their information comes from county tax assessors. People drafting tax maps. there is absolutely nothing about the process they or any mapping software company is doing except buying the tax records for every county in this country. Tax map accuracy can be pinpoint or, can have a great deal of error. Take that from a guy that has spent 25 years finding and running property lines.

If it is as usual, some internet western elk hunting master will be along shortly to inform you I am incorrect. Just remember that ignorance is bliss as they say.

gburk

WKR
No they do not. They have a disclaimer stating that. And, their information comes from county tax assessors. People drafting tax maps. there is absolutely nothing about the process they or any mapping software company is doing except buying the tax records for every county in this country. Tax map accuracy can be pinpoint or, can have a great deal of error. Take that from a guy that has spent 25 years finding and running property lines.

If it is as usual, some internet western elk hunting master will be along shortly to inform you I am incorrect. Just remember that ignorance is bliss as they say.
I’m no internet western hunting master, but that does sound correct. No software company ever accepts liability for bad outcomes due to software defects or data errors. “Terms of use”. (I’d be interested to know of a counterexample if one exists)
That said, I hope they have some system to report and fix the error?

OP
P

Praxeus

Lil-Rokslider
Here is an example. Property line is right through some homes.View attachment 131022

That is just crazy. I can appreciate their disclaimer (I guess) however, the fact that I now have trespassers on camera flaunting the fact that they are using On X may actually incriminate them. I will be contacting Sheriffs dept. tomorrow and then On X. If they don't fix it after being notified, I may be taking this to another level.

Wrench

WKR
We had some guys crossing a pair of new fences my dad had put up after he had his land surveyed. Fresh pins....pretty tough to argue. I met the guys and we asked what they were doing. They showed me the map, I as a user of onx, was completely understanding and explained that the map was wrong.

My dad at 70 years old could care less about a cellphone map after dumping 8 grand to survey his place.

If it looks wrong....proceed with caution.

This is both disheartening and very disappointing to hear. As I recall, the main selling point I remember, from OnX ,
was that their product was specifically used to settle trespassing disputes by law enforcement. I have personally used OnX to hunt- navigate property lines very tight and am having the feeling I may have been in a compromising situation a time or two now...especially since no fences were present.

fatlander

WKR
If onX is wrong then the county GIS is likely wrong too. I’d clearly mark my property lines with posted signs spread thick. Then they have no excuse. But I would say if multiple systems, including the county’s, are wrong and your boundaries are not nearing obnoxious in marking, no district attorney is going to prosecute.

tdhanses

WKR
Im wondering with these types of errors if OnX takes responsibility for this. Im going to be contacting them regading this

No they do not, it is a use at your own risk and none of these services are perfect.

I'm a landowner with trespassing problems (like all landowners). I also have used OnX and Gaia. You are having two issues here. Mapping software and real life.

The mapping on Onx, Gaia, etc is only as good as the county's tax maps. The county is not motivated to make the maps accurate, so in many cases they can be off by up to 100-200 feet. But this doesn't really matter.

What really matters is that the landowner is absolutely certain where their boundaries are and that POSTED signs are visible. Then the law can be enforced. Yes, I know that the signs shouldn't be necessary but the judge will be a lot less likely to prosecute if the landowner hasn't posted his property.

wytx

WKR
I would also bet the county GIS is wrong for your property. We had that same issue and WG&F came out and put up signs stating the land in question was indeed private.
Post it would also be my recommendation and turn in trespassers, word will get out eventually.

fatlander

WKR
I'm a landowner with trespassing problems (like all landowners). I also have used OnX and Gaia. You are having two issues here. Mapping software and real life.

The mapping on Onx, Gaia, etc is only as good as the county's tax maps. The county is not motivated to make the maps accurate, so in many cases they can be off by up to 100-200 feet. But this doesn't really matter.

What really matters is that the landowner is absolutely certain where their boundaries are and that POSTED signs are visible. Then the law can be enforced. Yes, I know that the signs shouldn't be necessary but the judge will be a lot less likely to prosecute if the landowner hasn't posted his property.

Exactly.

The guy writing the ticket is going to be looking at the same maps as the trespasser. If your land isn’t clearly marked but there are multiple sources saying it’s not yours, how many cops are even issuing a ticket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

Praxeus

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting that law enforcement would be equally at fault for using On X. I have the property posted and have a few cameras in place. Just last week, I posted the picture of a trespasser on Craigslist community page looking for someone to identify. We may even add a small reward for positive ID.

If I don't react immediately over these types of things, I'm afraid my property will be over run, On X or not.

It takes a little common sense on the part of the onx map user for Christ's sake, lines on the map are just approximate. I never find lines that are on the actual property lines, they are all shifted a bit. The map provides a general idea of where the line is, user needs to look for the natural boundary be it fence, road, stream, driveway, etc.
Then add in GPS error...

mlgc20

WKR
I had this issue with my most recent Colorado elk hunt. We had access to a a private ranch. But, we were hunting the public land around it as well. The boundaries of the ranch were clearly fenced and marked. But, the map info from OnX did not agree. OnX showed BLM land inside the fenced area and some private land outside. The issue was, my daughter had a private land only cow tag (in addition to her unit wide bull tag). Sadly, we never saw an elk, so we didn't have to make any tough decisions. But, I had been constantly thinking while we were out there what we would do if we saw a cow in one of these areas where OnX and the property boundaries disagreed. Ultimately, I decided we would trust the local fencing and signage on the ranch. But, no fun to have that sort of doubt. On balance, I still really like OnX. But, you do have to be aware of your surroundings and apply some common sense. OnX isn't going to be a "get out of jail free" card.