onX hunt inaccurate property lines

Panfish1

FNG
I know a rancher in WY when he finds a "trespasser" on his land he asks them if they have onx maps. If not he gives them a card with a QR code on it that they scan and download the app to help them out. But if they already have it on their phone well that another story...... :)

Michael54

WKR
Curious as to what people did before on-x? Did they just disregard the sign and hunt it anyways? Technology is a good thing but its definitely not error proof. It was still created by a human using information given by other humans.

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
If you think OnX property lines are inaccurate, then you probably have bigger problems that you aren't aware of yet.

MtnOyster

WKR
I’m a land owner, and where I don’t have a fence or a distinctive property line I have signs that say no trespassing if I didn’t have those things that marked my property boundaries and I came up on a guy that was honestly using on x maps and its boundaries were off some but he was following its lines, I’d be respectful and give the guy the benefit of the doubt and politely tell him he was off a little bit on the property boundaries, might be a little different if he had nothing and sneaking through.

Billinsd

WKR
Curious as to what people did before on-x? Did they just disregard the sign and hunt it anyways? Technology is a good thing but its definitely not error proof. It was still created by a human using information given by other humans.
I used hard copy maps, which I still use.

Zeke6951

Lil-Rokslider
If you think OnX line are always accurate check to see if it always shows you driving on a highway or road. I don't know if it is the lines that are wrong or the GPS position but sometimes it show you driving way off the road.

I don't know how it is in every state, but the deed for my land in KY states from XYZ's corner, northwest with ABC's line approx 115 poles to NoName Creek thence east with the meanders of the creek 25 poles, etc. The calls are not exact. When I bought my place I flagged all the old fences that I thought were the property lines and then I talked to all the neighbors and they agreed with the flagged lines.

I worked as a forester in KY until I retired a few years ago. I have talked to many surveyors in the last 30 years, all agree that evidence in the field outweigh deed descriptions. I have numerous times read deeds that had calls reversed. I do know that all surveyed lines I have seen have a pin with cap with the surveyors name on it. I have been told that it is a felony to move a survey pin. Back before GIS, I have also been told by assessors offices that they often have people come in an tell them their property lines are wrong on the offices aerial photos. They would just tell them to draw them in where they were supposed to be.

Long story, short deed description can be wrong, fences maybe in the wrong place according to deeds but still be legally the property line. Old surveys used a chain (actually a metal tape 66' long) to measure lines. The chain sagged when crossing valleys, could not be pulled straight when crossing ridges, and were not as accurate as modern survey equipment.

CBreeze

FNG
I’m starting to stress out about trespassers now. I wish google earth had a subscription service where you could just task a satellite to give you real-time imagery of your property once or twice a day or maybe some kind of on demand ISR feed whether it be drone based or otherwise. I know for a fact people go on my place when they know I’m not around and now that this thread has made it impossible to ignore I’m getting pissed

I ran into an uncertain situation myself.
There was a fence where I stopped, no sign, no locking gate, yet it was gated.
The map shows private way down into the meadow, but I choose to stay at fence line, just cause I wasn't sure.
I was fortunate to have a fence line, many are not.
Yet in Utah- ranchers are notorious for fencing and posting way beyond their legal boundary rights.

It will be an ongoing dilemma for sure.
I have a responsibility to do my part, as best and logical as possible.
2c87ef13aa841cdcc4f72d0e13091977.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
Every situation is unique. It only takes a little common sense to avoid most issues.
People need accept the fact that the OnX lines are not perfect. Also, your position location on the map is not perfect. People just need to be decent and use common sense. If it means crossing a fence or walking an extra 50 yards. Walk the extra 50 yards. OnX does not give us users the right to trespass. Also, landowners who don’t know their property lines need to lighten up. Pay for the survey. Then you know. As a landowner that borders public land, I know it’s a pain in the rear to deal with. Be firm, but understanding. Everyone makes a mistake.

GotDraw?

WKR
@fatlander

An excellent idea, except that there are assh*le landowners out there that will put up new fences and festoon No Tressapassing signs on land the they don't own.

Then who do you believe?

I think the point here is Detrimental Reliance, the trespassers were using the best tool they could to try to STAY off the property and unbeknownst that data source was inaccurate. When a person is doing the best he can NOT to trespass, then it seems fair to not cop an attitude and simply set them straight.

JL

If onX is wrong then the county GIS is likely wrong too. I’d clearly mark my property lines with posted signs spread thick. Then they have no excuse. But I would say if multiple systems, including the county’s, are wrong and your boundaries are not nearing obnoxious in marking, no district attorney is going to prosecute.

rob86jeep

WKR
I'd be willing to bet that a lot of fences are running through public land as people put up fences in the past without having a proper survey done as no-one questioned it. If you want to enforce trespass laws, you need to have a current survey done. If you're not willing to figure out your own property lines first (with a survey), how can you expect anyone else to?

If somebody is using software such as OnX (even though it's not perfect), they are trying to follow the rules. I've come across several fences in National Forrest that are no where near private property. If I come across a fence that I believe to be on public property (and my GPS confirms what I believe), I've done my part and i'll cross it. Until we get all the erroneous fences removed from public property, this is the way it has to be.

Go Pokes

Lil-Rokslider
Its just ridiculous across the board. On x is not a cure all for not doing you due diligence. Its a tool used to give you an idea of where you can be or can't be. It sounds like the people referred to on the op know better but are doing it anyway due to an on x map error and using that as their justification. If that is in fact the case I would press as many charges as i could on them. In my area all of our property lines are well known and we abide by them. If one of us tried to use on x as a justification we would probably be laughed at by the guy writing the ticket. (The on x map doesnt even show my house that i built 6 years ago or any of the subsequent property line changes) On the flip side if we claimed more than what we owned someone would be knocking on our door within days.
What is due diligence in you opinion? Using existing maps created with information from county tax assessors office seems to be due diligence. What charges would you file? There is no intent to make the charge anything more that a time waster. Intent must be involved for there to be "Charge" that anyone would even consider regardless of where you are. Due diligence would be used AGAINST you. Sure, could you be right and prove your point to someone, maybe, but as long as they are using the most current information possible your "charges" mean nothing.

rob86jeep

WKR
Had some trespassers on my property that were supposedly following onX hunts property lines. Was wondering if anyone here has experienced this. Wondering where onX gets their property status/ private property info/
Praxeus, Since you've brought this issue up before and received a lot of advice, have you actually tried to prosecute anyone yet who uses this trail through your property? I'm curious to know how the outcome was. If you have (and it was successful) then it sets president for any future trespasser. If you have tried but it was unsuccessful, what were the reasons why? If you haven't tried, why do you continue to post about it?

CorbLand

WKR
I'd be willing to bet that a lot of fences are running through public land as people put up fences in the past without having a proper survey done as no-one questioned it. If you want to enforce trespass laws, you need to have a current survey done. If you're not willing to figure out your own property lines first (with a survey), how can you expect anyone else to?

If somebody is using software such as OnX (even though it's not perfect), they are trying to follow the rules. I've come across several fences in National Forrest that are no where near private property. If I come across a fence that I believe to be on public property (and my GPS confirms what I believe), I've done my part and i'll cross it. Until we get all the erroneous fences removed from public property, this is the way it has to be.

I just want to clarify for those that may not know. Some of the fences you run into on public land are livestock fences and are meant to be there. It’s to keep livestock out of certain areas. These fences can move from year to year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob86jeep

WKR
I just want to clarify for those that may not know. Some of the fences you run into on public land are livestock fences and are meant to be there. It’s to keep livestock out of certain areas. These fences can move from year to year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point to clarify/add. It just adds to the fact that fences don't always equate to private property.

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
I agree that there are a lot of landowners taking advantage of fences and claiming public land as private.
I also agree that anybody who is using OnX or a similar product is doing their best NOT to trespass.
We are at the relative beginning with this new technology. Hopefully over time it gets better. Maybe a significant portion of the offenders of claiming public land as private will be taken care of.

Rich M

WKR
The way i took it was that the guys gave the landowner a hard time and used OnX as their bludgeon. If I found some guys on my land and asked em what they were up to and got a load of crap, you betcha I'd be po-ed and ready to battle anyone and everyone.

As a conscientious guy who does use OnX in an effort not to trespass, it is usually best to be polite and cooperative when someone comes up and says this is my land - who are you?

For the guy who asked what folks did before OnX - that answer is pretty simple, the majority of the guys running around in them thar hills did not go out west to hunt cause the land was not posted, fences are in strange places and outfitters and leasing owners ran everyone off a lot of the public land. OnX is a great tool and has opened the west to hunters from other areas who would not go before due to unfriendly trespasser laws and areas with reputations for unfriendly land owners.

204guy

WKR
As a conscientious guy who does use OnX in an effort not to trespass, it is usually best to be polite and cooperative when someone comes up and says this is my land - who are you?

F that. Never once had someone trying to run me off public that was polite and considerate. Most seem like the type that beat their dog for the fun of it. Had a fun 1 yesterday. Truck was driving cross country all over private and public land. Comes flying up to us literally dead center of a state section.
"You lost"
"Nope"
"I own this land"
"Me too"

He hadn't heard that one before, started stuttering for a bit. TFF.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I bet we all have stories.... I was set up on water for spike elk opener, Utah, when I heard 2 different bulls and a herd they were beginning to keep eyes on all heading up the ridge to me. I am in an area where there is private below me, about a mile, maybe more. He drives his razor with a young kid next to him, illegally down to where I am at. I step out and inform him, to shut it off, there is a herd coming up right now. They too were hunting. He then asks me, with Razor running and in a very loud voice, "you got permission to hunt this, I said yea, It was State land". His reply, "Really". He tried to intimidate me and it wasn't even his land, yet he tried to use the private below as a tool to run me off.

The point- it's getting to be a crazy woods out there. Be safe, smart, aware. A lot of crazies carrying guns who are idiots. #notnrabashingeither #justtheplaintruth