onX hunt inaccurate property lines

Hunteer

FNG
I find their property boundaries only good for reference. It is maybe 80% accurate in my area.

Carlin59

WKR
I’m starting to stress out about trespassers now. I wish google earth had a subscription service where you could just task a satellite to give you real-time imagery of your property once or twice a day or maybe some kind of on demand ISR feed whether it be drone based or otherwise. I know for a fact people go on my place when they know I’m not around and now that this thread has made it impossible to ignore I’m getting pissed
Look into one of the cellular trail cam options. That is the defacto security system for our property in WY (4.5 hr drive to check cams manually otherwise). We have a Moultrie cam that has worked well, but I’m sure the others are fine also. Pretty cool to get an alert directly to my phone when it catches someone driving on our property that shouldn’t be.

Trdup

FNG
I have ea problem with people crossing and hunting on my land last year because of onyx.I called them and spoke to a gentleman there.I then preceded to email him pictures of the documents, that displayed the location of are bounties along with ownership.Every person I ran off,all said they used onyx.I have yet to hear back out of them.After reading all these comments it sounds like it’s time to take some sort of legal action against them

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
I have ea problem with people crossing and hunting on my land last year because of onyx.I called them and spoke to a gentleman there.I then preceded to email him pictures of the documents, that displayed the location of are bounties along with ownership.Every person I ran off,all said they used onyx.I have yet to hear back out of them.After reading all these comments it sounds like it’s time to take some sort of legal action against them
The legal action would be against your county. That’s where they get their data.

The legal action would be against your county. That’s where they get their data.

I don't believe that is true. I have been told by a person that talked with OnX about the source of their data that OnX uses the U.S. Census Bureau data for their road layers.

I know the county I live in would never let OnX use their road layer.

ClearCreek

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
I don't believe that is true. I have been told by a person that talked with OnX about the source of their data that OnX uses the U.S. Census Bureau data for their road layers.

I know the county I live in would never let OnX use their road layer.

ClearCreek
Ok well the point is onx is not out there surveying land and making their own maps. They are getting it from a government agency.

How can your county not give out the info with a FOI? Onx pays for a lot of data sets.

Ok well the point is onx is not out there surveying land and making their own maps. They are getting it from a government agency.

How can your county not give out the info with a FOI? Onx pays for a lot of data sets.

The FOIA is only valid when requesting information from the Federal Gov.

However, most states, maybe all, do have some sort of Public Records act law that allows entities to obtain some information. Our State G&F Dept. was told the county road layer was not for access purposes and therefore should not be used as such.

ClearCreek

They pull property lines from the county tax assessors office. For those of you having issues pay to have your land surveyed then take those maps to your county court house and have your tax assessments corrected.

KRATOCT

FNG
I use onX as a first source reference when it comes to property lines but don’t put a great amount of trust in it because it can vary. With that being said I needed to determine my property line very accurately to see if I could access the back side of my detached garage if I put a garage door on the backside of it. It appeared that the garage was right on the offset by the way the properties were maintained. I wasn’t able to string line or use line of sight due to trees so I found the property corners, shot them in GIS using a Leica gps unit with 1cm accuracy then connected the dots in CAD to establish property lines. Marked those out with the gps unit and gained 40’ of property on that side of my lot and it was spot on with onX. I still wouldn’t trust just onX but goes to show it can be spot on. Phone gps is also usually only accurate to +/- 10’.

I did parcel mapping for a county for 8 years and was a survey assistant. There are so many variables when it comes to getting very accurate parcel mapping.

A lot of it has to do with the quality of the Deed. Some are so bad that it is really hard to figure out. I had one old plat where I ran out of land before I had put all the parcels in.

Accuracy also depends on the base of the Public Land Survey System (PLSS). Is it a computed grid or has a surveyor gone out with survey grade GPS? A computed grid can be off by quite a bit even if the lot was surveyed.

Was the deed written by the owner on what he thinks he owns or by a layer that has never stepped on the property?

How good is the surveyor? I have had the pleasure of working with some really good ones and the horror of some really bad ones. One couldn't even survey a 40 correctly. He eventually lost his license but how many bad surveys are out there from his 20+ year career?

If OnX is getting their data from the Census, that data has been greatly generalized and looses its value. I know because I had to put my data into it and lost a lot of its accuracy due to trying to get the whole nation into one easy system.

I use OnX but always stay 75 to 100 feet off the lines for the reasons listed above.

KsRancher

WKR
Had some trespassers on my property that were supposedly following onX hunts property lines. Was wondering if anyone here has experienced this. Wondering where onX gets their property status/ private property info/
Curious if the OP ever got a survey. When I bought my home place there were wood post put in on the property line corners. I planted a row of arbovitas 10ft on my side of the wood post/property line. Fast forward 6yrs, my other neighbor passed away and they had to have a survey to settle the estate. Come to find out I planted 37 arbovitas 10ft on my neighbor. I even had another company come survey my place just to double check. Yep, I planted trees on my neighbor. The neighbor even thought that the wood corner post were the property lines. He was very easy to work with on it. He sold my 75ft all along my property.

def90

WKR

Pretty sure OnX gets their data from the county assessor in the form of a GIS map, that’s the only way to make a database like they have. The GIS map is a computer file that was created by your local government that plots out all of the property lines in the area it covers. OnX is able to import the data file and overlay it on to either the topo map or the satellite image of the area. If the property line is wrong on OnX it’s wrong on your local government GIS map.

As for anyone that is using OnX in order to traverse tight property lines just keep in mind that GIS data can be wrong, marked property lines can be wrong, the accuracy of the GPS in your phone may not be what you think it is. I use OnX as a general reference that allows me to know where I am in a general area, if there is a fence 40 feet away from where OnX says it should be I go by the fence, not what OnX tells me.

mcr-85

WKR
I search title for a living. A lot of people have a hard time understanding that they own what their deed says and not what they physically occupy on the ground. Sometimes those two can be vastly different.

As for the county GIS, it is a good reference but the inaccuracies are almost as common as the accuracies. When people call and ask questions about their land because they seen something wrong with lines on the GIS we tell them it stands for "get it surveyed".

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
Seems to me much of the public lands have been public for a long time, I am betting that those lines are quite accurate, private butting private who knows?

As stated earlier ONX is using data collected from another source they are not out surveying the lands.

I have seen one example of it being wrong , contacted them about it twice with no change so I am guessing the county or whoever lists the properties has it wrong, and i assume it would be up to the land owners to get it corrected.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I search title for a living. A lot of people have a hard time understanding that they own what their deed says and not what they physically occupy on the ground. Sometimes those two can be vastly different.

As for the county GIS, it is a good reference but the inaccuracies are almost as common as the accuracies. When people call and ask questions about their land because they seen something wrong with lines on the GIS we tell them it stands for "get it surveyed".

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
I’m a private sector land surveyor, and this is 100% accurate. I tell my GIS tech coworkers the same—some understand, some don’t care. I’ve worked on county GIS upgrade projects and have resolved location discrepancies between GIS and actual of up to 30-40’ in suburban settings.