onX Hunt Tutorial/Q&A

aRandySavage

Lil-Rokslider
Here are some additional Tips for your Offline maps. We're always looking for ways to continue to improve our offline maps so if you have any suggestions on how we can make this feature even better, we're all ears.

Tips for saving Offline maps:
  • Turn on the Map Layers you want to save before saving your map, otherwise they will not be available when using the saved map.
  • Save several smaller maps next to each other to stitch together a larger Offline Map.
  • To save smaller property boundaries, choose the smallest map size.
  • Some Layers cannot be saved. Check the Layer's description to see if it's available for Offline use.
  • Before doing anything else in the app, wait for the download to complete.
  • If your screen goes to sleep the download will continue.
  • If you see the "Map Server Busy" error message, wait a few minutes and try saving your map again.
  • Maps are saved into the internal storage of the device. Maps cannot be saved to a removable SD card or other storage medium.
great tips here that i've never thought about. thanks!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My iPhone won’t backup because I don’t have enough cloud storage and found the onX app needs 3.5 GB but my limit is 5. I tried exporting my data/content from the web map using gpx and kml on a chrome book but the files won’t open or do anything. Probably not an onX problem; just trying to learn. Any ideas?
sorry we missed this!
I use onX a lot and have 6-10 med res maps saved, but don't store a ton of waypoints or tracks and my iPhone 11 is showing I'm at 2.1G storage, so 3.5 not out of possibility if you save a lot of maps, waypoints, etc.

For the first onX Tech Tip, we're going to go over one of the most important features of the Hunt app: Offline Maps. A common misconception we see is "Well I hunt where there's no service so this won't work" but you don't need any service to use all the features of the app and to see the information. All you need to do is save your map for offline use before heading out and you'll turn your cell phone into a fully functional GPS unit. Below is a detailed walk-through on how to take advantage of that feature. We'll be giving away a Premium membership to one Rokslide user who "Likes" this post so like below for a chance to win.
1. Tap the Offline Maps Button in the bottom-left corner of the main screen to open the Offline Maps Menu.
View attachment 117497

2. In the Offline Maps Menu, tap "Save New Map."
click-here-save-new-map-png.117498

3. Tap inside the "Name" box to give your saved map a distinctive label, if needed
4. The section of map outlined in red is the area that will be saved. Move the outline to the area that you want to save.
View attachment 117500
5. Choose the map size:
  • 5-Mile Wide High Resolution - smallest area, most detail.
  • 10-Mile Wide Medium Resolution - slightly larger area, slightly less detail.
  • 100 / 150-Mile Wide Low Resolution - largest area, least detail.
6. Tap the "Save" button to begin the download. Wait until this map is done saving before downloading another. The process should take 5 - 10 minutes, depending on your network speed.
View attachment 117501
The offline maps is definitely important because you will lose signal on your phone if you're dep enough

Yaada_205

FNG
It was brought up last week so this week we're going to cover COMPASS MODE.
The map defaults to North up orientation, when you're going to a waypoint or following a previous track that isn't very helpful which is why we have a compass mode which orients the map in whatever direction you are facing.
Tapping the My Location Button in the bottom-right corner has a number of features such as centering the map on your location, orienting the map in the direction you're facing and displaying a compass on the screen.
View attachment 118859

Tapping Once
  • Centers the map on your current physical location
  • Your location is indicated by a blue dot
View attachment 118857

Without moving the map, tap the location icon again which:
  • Rotates the map so the direction you're facing is towards the top of the screen (instead of North-Up)
  • Displays the compass in the upper-right corner
View attachment 118858

Then to disable compass mode, simply touch the location icon again.

Keep the questions coming as we are appreciating all the feedback and hope this helps you fill your tags this fall.
Can there be a setting added to where when I'm using the direction I'm facing mode and I zoom in or out (mobile app) that it does not reset to default location mode, north facing up?

Rwplummer

FNG
At this time, you will need to "hide" the area to click through and see trailhead information. If you go into the My Content Menu, go to the Areas section, and click the check box by the Areas folder or specific area to hide it from the map so you can click on the trailhead for that information then when you want to view that Area again, tap the box so there is a check mark in the box next to it again. I will bug our engineers to get that fixed as personally I have encountered that as well and it is not ideal. Thanks for the feedback!
I have the same issue as well. I haven’t tried in a bit so it could be updated now but it would be a nice improvement

Rwplummer

FNG
They got rid of that feature. I emailed them and asked and they said they made it automatic as you zoom in and out now. Wish they would go back to the old way

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I agree with this. When some layers are turned on the transparency is such that it makes it hard to discern some details. Turn the layer off, then you lose boundaries of the area you are looking at.

tracker12

WKR
For the first onX Tech Tip, we're going to go over one of the most important features of the Hunt app: Offline Maps. A common misconception we see is "Well I hunt where there's no service so this won't work" but you don't need any service to use all the features of the app and to see the information. All you need to do is save your map for offline use before heading out and you'll turn your cell phone into a fully functional GPS unit. Below is a detailed walk-through on how to take advantage of that feature. We'll be giving away a Premium membership to one Rokslide user who "Likes" this post so like below for a chance to win.
1. Tap the Offline Maps Button in the bottom-left corner of the main screen to open the Offline Maps Menu.
View attachment 117497

2. In the Offline Maps Menu, tap "Save New Map."
click-here-save-new-map-png.117498

3. Tap inside the "Name" box to give your saved map a distinctive label, if needed
4. The section of map outlined in red is the area that will be saved. Move the outline to the area that you want to save.
View attachment 117500
5. Choose the map size:
  • 5-Mile Wide High Resolution - smallest area, most detail.
  • 10-Mile Wide Medium Resolution - slightly larger area, slightly less detail.
  • 100 / 150-Mile Wide Low Resolution - largest area, least detail.
6. Tap the "Save" button to begin the download. Wait until this map is done saving before downloading another. The process should take 5 - 10 minutes, depending on your network speed.
View attachment 117501
Can you explain how you move the square around to save an online map

Last edited: