OnX Maps Image Dates

I’m looking around at areas where several fires have occurred in the past 2-8 years. Some of the burns are huge and some spotty. Some areas look timbered but I believe the fires went through those stands of timber.

My question is how often does Onx update their images? Is there any way to find the dates of the images like you can on Google Earth?

It’s been a long time since I’ve hunted old burns but I’ve always done well in and around them.

42FA22B0-09F7-4DDB-B96D-766D75178B98.jpeg

Jaquomo

WKR
As I understand it, the most zoomed images are from drones or private companies (planes) and the further views are from satellites. There are companies that digitally stitch the data together and sell it to mapping companies like Gaia and OnX. Personally I find the GAIA satellite views to be crisper so I toggle back and forth between GAIA and OnX. I also like USGS topos for pure topographic detail, which GAIA has and OnX does not. OnX and GAIA are at the mercy of the companies they use. Unfortunately, they don't have a time slider like GE. In my area of N. CO there are clear cuts several years old that arent shown, and others that look like great habitat that are now overgrown with 8' tall dog hair lodgepoles that are impenetrable. Burns may show up years later.

svivian

WKR
Isnt there a layer on onx that tells you the date of the fire? Then you could have Google earth pulled up with a more recent date and see how the area looks now. You can also change the date on google earth to get an image just after the fire.

Thats if there are images available for those dates....

Hnthrdr

WKR
My limited research is that GE has time stamps on there images… most are 2-4 years old. I have a cabin near the Cameron peak fire which pretty well nuked a bunch of National forest and last I checked it did not reflect the situation on the ground.

EVD

FNG
The other day using Googel Earth and Onx, on the same area, there was a notable difference in the satellite images. Especially on old cuts. Onx has the burn overlay, but neither images showed fires from 2-3 years ago.

Fullfan

WKR
I had to buy a premium membership to HuntStand. They have monthly updates satellite pics.

Big fire burnt last year where I hunt. I can see where the fire burnt. But left big pockets of timber. Only updated pics I can find

LostArra

WKR
My daughter is in the GIS mapping business for permitting with Corps of Engineers. She said for publicly available images that GE is usually the best bet. You might have to go to different zoom levels to to get more current dates. She also mentioned that large areas hit by tornadoes, hurricanes, etc will usually have more updated imagery especially if FEMA gets involved. She is not sure if forest fires are handled the same way.

Jethro

WKR
OnX claims every 2-3 years. Although I know images of my house are at least 4 years old. Both Gaia and google have more recent images of my area.

I have never seen dates of OnX images shown.

I have OnX and the imagery where I live in south Texas is within the last 2 years.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

OP
Indian Summer
I do know that in my state, Oregon, if I switch to 3D in OnX it is a much newer. That has helped us find new clear cuts that are not showing up in 2d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s the ticket! The 3D images are much better and more recent. Your feedback was a big help thanks.

I found the Google Earth images to be older than Onx in western Montana.