OnX maps layer wanted!!!!!!

Dcrafton

WKR
I would love to see a sheep herders layer on OnX maps.
It really sucks to spend time e-scouting just to spend time scouting before your hunt to find mountain magets all over the area you wanted to hunt....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
It really sucks to spend time e-scouting just to spend time scouting before your hunt to find mountain magets all over the area you wanted to hunt....

in Idaho there are often signs at trailheads notifying hikers about herders. Meaning there must be some sort of collaboration With fish and game or the forest service it might be able to get info about.

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
I would agree, a grazing layer would be so valuable. Ive called the national forest office a few times to see what the sheep grazing schedule is in the area I hunt, they have been very open with information. Another area I hunt gets alot of cattle grazing as well. Watching the trail cams as soon as the cattle arrive I stop seeing elk on the camera. Generally the elk move to just over the next fence where the cattle are not at

Vids

WKR
In Colorado they get their grazing permits from the USFS, so if you call the local biologist they will have that information for you. When I've discussed this with the biologists they've been very helpful in telling me where they're grazing and when they're required to take them off the public land.

It would be nice to have this in OnX, but would probably be a royal PITA for OnX to keep it up to date and accurate since it is constantly changing.

ODB

WKR
If you look very closely here you can see a herd of sheep led by a Basque herder. This is in Ketchum Idaho.
1182B019-5BBE-4DC8-A42B-297B6AB497F5.jpeg

Last edited:

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
another one is a forest road map layer that works off line.. the hardest part for me is finding access roads ..

This wouldn’t help me as sheep destroy almost all the major feed in seemingly all parts of my units haha

Not OnX, but here you go.

You can tell what the allotment is for by the letters at the end of the name.

C&H = cattle and horses
S&G = sheep and goats

Just to add some perspective here for the "mountain maggot" guys....they have just as much of a right to graze public land as we do to hunt it. Those people are out there trying to make a living to feed their families and the 99% of people that don't hunt and rely on agriculture. You are out there playing dress-up in camo on your PTO.

Also, remove all grazing and you get California right now. Do you want your unit on fire every other year or once every 10-15 years?

OP
Dcrafton

Dcrafton

WKR
Just to add some perspective here for the "mountain maggot" guys....they have just as much of a right to graze public land as we do to hunt it. Those people are out there trying to make a living to feed their families and the 99% of people that don't hunt and rely on agriculture. You are out there playing dress-up in camo on your PTO.

Also, remove all grazing and you get California right now. Do you want your unit on fire every other year or once every 10-15 years?

Not wanting to remove it, just have locations before I spend my PTO on my hunt

Not to be too confrontational, but that playing dress up is big money sir..."Overall, hunting in the United States generates $25 billion dollars in retail sales and more than $17 billion dollars in salaries and wages each year". and "in 2015, there were approximately 35 million hunting licenses, tags, permits, and stamps sold in the United States at a cumulative cost of $821 million. The great bulk of this money went to conservation, in one form or another. " https://www.conservationforce.org/hunting-is-by-far-the-largest-funding-me

Grazing on public lands supports ranchers and can be sustainable use on the landscape, but is mostly a taxpayer subsidy. In 2015 the BLM spent $36 million on grazing admin and only collected $14.5 million in grazing fees. (https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/rangelands-and-grazing/livestock-grazing). This isn't even going into the vast sums fish and game departments pay out in depredation fees every year.

The better argument for this subsidy and continuing grazing on public lands is not that grazing prevents wildfires or that it supports more families than hunting, but rather that the opportunity costs to large landscapes from the potential sale and subdivision of ranches and properties that hold these public grazing leases ( a prerequisite to public land grazing is a private "base" inholding or lease) and which are habitats that are typically in critical winter and migration areas. I think as hunters we have also have a right to be upset at and report overgrazing conditions, livestock having other negative effects on wildlife and the OPs suggestion is a good one. Anyone who has hunted enough of the west can confirm that sheep and cattle can denude a landscape of sufficient forage for big game and that even the presense of a herder with horses can move animals out of basin.

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
We appreciate all the feedback and will look at the suggestions to see which ones we can make a reality so keep them coming!