OnX Storage Usage

My iPhone is getting low on space so I viewed my storage usage and OnX is using over 6.5 GB of space. And that’s after I deleted all the offline maps from my phone! I have a pretty good number of waypoints and areas but only a handful have pictures (maybe 10-20 tops).

The app itself is under 150 MB. A kml of the same number of points might be a few MB at the most. Instead it appears that OnX is using that much per waypoint.

Is there some secret setting to clear map cache or does OnX really use that much data to store waypoints?

Attachments

• 96D117A1-EB56-4510-8D96-2F37565D358B.jpeg
    96D117A1-EB56-4510-8D96-2F37565D358B.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 25

Kquinn511

FNG
Hmmm, I've never looked at this but I went and checked to see how much storage mine was taking up. I have zero pics in my waypoints and currently only have a few maps downloaded....

Total storage being used....13GB

Holy cow I did not know it took up so much space, making me think the waypoints really do take up that much space (I've got hundreds)

j_volt

WKR
I am at 2.41GB with 1,428 waypoints and 11 offline maps. I'd recommend calling OnX. I am sure they can help explain how to help limit size.

I had a ton of storage being used on mine. I ended up deleting the app and reinstalling the app and it's now using very little with download maps.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
canyonhunter47
I had a ton of storage being used on mine. I ended up deleting the app and reinstalling the app and it's now using very little with download maps.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I tried the same and drastically reduced my usage. But … every time I use it the storage creeps up. I assume that it caches as much as possible to avoid hitting their server too much.

wapitibob

WKR
Mine is using 32 gig with few waypoints and lines as I offload my user data after each hunt. I have 88, 5 mile maps loaded and very few are under 300 meg.

Hmmm, I've never looked at this but I went and checked to see how much storage mine was taking up. I have zero pics in my waypoints and currently only have a few maps downloaded....

Total storage being used....13GB

Holy cow I did not know it took up so much space, making me think the waypoints really do take up that much space (I've got hundreds)
Same here!
I went from 14GB to less than 1 just by uninstalling then reinstalling. Seems like they have engineered a bad product for excessive storage use and no guardrails, but you can’t open it without being advertised to over and over again