Onx vs basemap

BaseMap

I’m currently using both BaseMap and OnX, as there are things I like about each one. Is there a way to not lose so much map detail when you go to Offline mode with BaseMap?

The detail quality of the maps are dependent on the size of the map you download. The larger the area, the lower the resolution.

Onx is just a simple app that gives you all public to private land boundaries as well as unit maps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

horniac

FNG
BaseMap is $30 per year for the pro membership. There is a $10/year add-on that gives you the Eastmans MRS data for the western states.
Is there anyway to turn off the annoying sample data pop-up for the $10/year add-on Eastmans MRS layer? I would rate your app 5 stars if this could be turned off in the settings menu or elsewhere.

As a long time Pro subscriber, IMO $10 for this layer is too much money for this layer given the Pro membership is only $30/year...

Horniac

sasquatch

WKR
I’ve always used Gaia and onX. However now I’m looking into basemap, is there a layer description? I can’t find one.

I’m looking for something that describes what the shown trails etc mean. Like the black and whit dashed lined are roads, but then there’s routes or whatever that are gray Xs, what are those? What does that mean for example?

Another example, you turn on the eastmans data and all the colors change on the map, different shades of yellow or what not. What do these shades mean or represent?

These things are usually explained with a “layer library” but I can seem to find that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

BaseMap

I’ve always used Gaia and onX. However now I’m looking into basemap, is there a layer description? I can’t find one.

I’m looking for something that describes what the shown trails etc mean. Like the black and whit dashed lined are roads, but then there’s routes or whatever that are gray Xs, what are those? What does that mean for example?

Another example, you turn on the eastmans data and all the colors change on the map, different shades of yellow or what not. What do these shades mean or represent?

These things are usually explained with a “layer library” but I can seem to find that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great questions. So the black and white lines are USFS roads and the lines with the gray X's are closed roads. As for the Eastmans' colors, it is based on how good the unit is. Blue chip, green chip, and average. This is similar to how they have the units listed in their MRS data in the magazine.

Sobrbiker

WKR
If you convert to BaseMap, you are able to move all of your information from onX over to BaseMap in less than 2 minutes on a computer. You lose nothing.

Could you me more about this process-I’ve concerted more to just using my phone and haven’t spent money on computer since Windows XP. I’ve got no clue on how/if I’d be able to save my data from OnX then install into basemap.

Second question: will the ability to go into offline mode and have all downloaded maps seemlessly transition as I move into their area (without having to stop and select new map) and continue a track that is recording as I do so be available anytime soon? This is important to me as AZ is a big open place with crappola cell service. Almost 100% of the time I’m in offline mode with OnX in the field, and if I’ve saved it I don’t have to think about it at all.

BaseMap

Could you me more about this process-I’ve concerted more to just using my phone and haven’t spent money on computer since Windows XP. I’ve got no clue on how/if I’d be able to save my data from OnX then install into basemap.

Second question: will the ability to go into offline mode and have all downloaded maps seemlessly transition as I move into their area (without having to stop and select new map) and continue a track that is recording as I do so be available anytime soon? This is important to me as AZ is a big open place with crappola cell service. Almost 100% of the time I’m in offline mode with OnX in the field, and if I’ve saved it I don’t have to think about it at all.

You are able to move all of your information from onX to BaseMap. Click on the link below to be taken to a YouTube video that shows you how to move it all over.

We offer larger offline maps than the competition. All of the offline maps can be active at one time which does allow seamless transition based on your location and movement.

Popx5

FNG
I have onx chips for my Montana gps and gaia on my phone. If I in an area that had cell service, I just use Gaia. It has the nat geo maps layer that I have found has better detail in some areas.