Onx vs basemap

horniac

FNG
Is there anyway to turn off the annoying sample data pop-up for the $10/year add-on Eastmans MRS layer? I would rate your app 5 stars if this could be turned off in the settings menu or elsewhere.

As a long time Pro subscriber, IMO $10 for this layer is too much money for this layer given the Pro membership is only $30/year...

Horniac
Hi again,

I was just following up on this question to see if you knew of anyway this pop-up add could be turned off besides paying an additional $10/year?

Thanks,

Horniac

BaseMap

Hi again,

I was just following up on this question to see if you knew of anyway this pop-up add could be turned off besides paying an additional $10/year?

Thanks,

Horniac

It is something we are looking to remedy on our end. We have to program that into the app and have an update.

Ive been using OnX for some years now. Ive been using Basemap for about 9 months. I have OnX elite and Basemap Pro. I will probably continue to keep both honestly. If youre a veteran or military, you can find good deals on OnX elite.

This following is dealing with the app in the field use. I think the desktop version of both are very close to eachother. That being said, Basemap will be my primary and OnX the backup. BaseMap just has outstanding clarity with the 3D layer, and the app itself just seems to have better resolution overall. 14+ maps on BaseMap to 3 on Onx. The interface in Basemap works better for me. For instance, using line distance in OnX, you have to tap the screen where you want to start and end (you can enable a crosshair in OnX to get you closer, but you still have to tap the start and end location). With BaseMap you have a crosshair that you can pinpoint, drop the start, use the crosshair and drag the line with the crosshair to the end point and drop there. While you are dragging your line, it shows distance the entire time. So if you want to know a quick distance to a couple of ridges, or few areas, you can just drag your crosshair to both to get real time distance to wherever on the map without dropping the end location. With onX, you have to drop the end pin before it gives you distance. To me, that is huge. Also, dropping waypoints....OnX you drop where your crosshair is located, if you have it enabled, and to move it, its more tapping. With basemap you select marker, and the map moves behind the marker so you can move it where you want it instead of tapping where you want it.

This all might not sound like a big deal, but in the field if you are tapping with gloves on, that can get frustrating to mark a location with precision. Hell some of us have the dexterity of a moose when trying to hit things on an iphone without gloves, inside your house.

I also like that the moon phases are a touch away in the basemap app. Not a major thing, but something I do appreciate.

Last edited:

BaseMap

Ive been using OnX for some years now. Ive been using Basemap for about 9 months. I have OnX elite and Basemap Plus. I will probably continue to keep both honestly. If youre a veteran or military, you can find good deals on OnX elite.

This following is dealing with the app in the field use. I think the desktop version of both are very close to eachother. That being said, Basemap will be my primary and OnX the backup. BaseMap just has outstanding clarity with the 3D layer, and the app itself just seems to have better resolution overall. 14+ maps on BaseMap to 3 on Onx. The interface in Basemap works better for me. For instance, using line distance in OnX, you have to tap the screen where you want to start and end (you can enable a crosshair in OnX to get you closer, but you still have to tap the start and end location). With BaseMap you have a crosshair that you can pinpoint, drop the start, use the crosshair and drag the line with the crosshair to the end point and drop there. While you are dragging your line, it shows distance the entire time. So if you want to know a quick distance to a couple of ridges, or few areas, you can just drag your crosshair to both to get real time distance to wherever on the map without dropping the end location. With onX, you have to drop the end pin before it gives you distance. To me, that is huge. Also, dropping waypoints....OnX you drop where your crosshair is located, if you have it enabled, and to move it, its more tapping. With basemap you select marker, and the map moves behind the marker so you can move it where you want it instead of tapping where you want it.

This all might not sound like a huge deal, but in the field if you are tapping with gloves on, that can get frustrating to mark a location with precision. Hell some of us have the dexterity of a moose when trying to hit things on an iphone without gloves, inside your house.

I also like that the moon phases are a touch away in the basemap app. Not a huge thing, but something I do appreciate.

Thank you for your service and your support of BaseMap. We do also offer a military discount on our Pro membership. Please message us for details.

Thank you for your service and your support of BaseMap. We do also offer a military discount on our Pro membership. Please message us for details.

Got it.

I used Basemap today to put out trail cams. The more I use it, the bigger the separation becomes between BaseMap and OnX. And I said before, Ill continue to pay for both. Redundancy in GPS apps is worth it to me. If all I had was OnX, Id be perfectly fine. I am not bashing OnX. For me though, BaseMap is clearly my go to this season.

The one (2 if you count a very small one) preference I do have in OnX is the my location feature, Where you can make the map - for lack of better terms - mapcentric or youcentric. Tap my location once and the map is oriented north (or wherever you rotate it) and you move on the map like Basemap. Tap twice and a sort of visibility cone is always pointing to the top of your phone so where you 'point' the phone is where you are looking on the map and in reality. I much prefer the visibility cone always pointing where I am looking/my phone is pointing.

In BaseMap, you only have the mapcentric. The map is pointing North (or wherever you rotate it if enabled) and your direction has a small arrow. So you can be walking in a direction your phone isnt pointing.

The other small preference is OnX always showing GPS Coordinates on screen, or at least give the user the option of displaying GPS coordinates on screen. In BaseMap you have to tap location. Not a big deal, just a preference Id like.

But the choice between 'mapcentric' and 'youcentric' to me is definitely something Basemap can incorporate. Besides the very minor GPS on screen coordinates, its the only real thing I prefer in OnX. So much so that if Im going from 1 waypoint to another in an area Im not too familiar with, I might switch to OnX just to use that feature to navigate.

Maybe in the future BaseMap?

Attachments

• 9FCF941B-DBBD-4451-BD30-DAD8B9C546EE.jpeg
    9FCF941B-DBBD-4451-BD30-DAD8B9C546EE.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 41
  • DEC8A4F2-00C2-4AAB-A157-1343B2485B19.jpeg
    DEC8A4F2-00C2-4AAB-A157-1343B2485B19.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

mtnDoc

FNG
I'm dabbling with BaseMap now. OnX is so user friendly, but the summer vegetation aerials are of no use in my area. I need topo, and winter time aerials. From my limited time using BaseMap so far, its aerials will be very useful for my scouting, and finding edges within the hardwoods in WNC national forests

@BaseMap will the 3d ever be offered in android? Or is that impossible with the droid platform? Ive been a long time onx user and bought basemap for this feature not realising it wouldn't work with my phone.... Also ive been playing with the app and it seems really glitchy... Freezes, loses layers, doesn't transition when I scroll to different parts of the map very well, etc. I have to close the app and re open it to get it work properly again. Ive been a little frustrated to be honest. No other app including onx gives me this issue so I don't believe its the phone or internet etc Thanks

BaseMap

@BaseMap will the 3d ever be offered in android? Or is that impossible with the droid platform? Ive been a long time onx user and bought basemap for this feature not realising it wouldn't work with my phone.... Also ive been playing with the app and it seems really glitchy... Freezes, loses layers, doesn't transition when I scroll to different parts of the map very well, etc. I have to close the app and re open it to get it work properly again. Ive been a little frustrated to be honest. No other app including onx gives me this issue so I don't believe its the phone or internet etc Thanks

3D on Android is something that we are looking into. The reason is it iOS only right now is because we are using Apple Maps for our 3D.

DanimalW

WKR
Used BaseMap for last two weeks in Western Montana. Buddies had OnX. They had some trails marked that weren’t on BaseMap. No big deal. Both performed well enough. My biggest gripes with BaseMap were 1) recording tracks would stop with phone in my pocket. There are straight lines all over connecting to my walking routes where it stopped recording my tracks. Definitely frustrating when you’re trying to backtrack your route through deadfall in the dark. 2) BaseMap seemed glitchy on my iPhone 10. It would just randomly close in use several times a day.
The compass orientation was awesome though. Point it right where you’d hear a bugle and you could more accurately see on the map how to best work your way to that area.