Open Breech Muzzleloader suggestions

Doesn't CCI make a magnum cap as well? Any experience with those?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I use the CCI Mags all the time when I am range shooting they work very for me, but when hunting I always go with the 1075+ caps - It is just me but I feel much more comfortable with them in the really crappy weather that I am in occasions.

Another thing that I feel important is the fit of the cap on the nipple post. I much prefer the cap to fit tight enough to be water proof. The only way you get the cap off the post is to shoot it off or peel it off with a knife blade.

I also feel that this insures the bulk of the energy in the cap is directed down the nipple post to the flash hole and onto the powder. The less energy that escapes outside between the cap and the post the better.

These pictures try to show what I am discussing

11-Composite2.jpg

If you are shooting several shots during a range shoot you do or should clean the dirty material off the nipple stack after 7-10 shots. The stack getting dirty can cause the cap not to seat properly and you will probably not ignite the cap on the first trigger pull.

This show a post after several shots and it really needs to be cleaned.

Dirty-Post.jpg

Easy pezee cleaning method

Cleaning-Post.jpg

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
Good stuff Mike!!

You have done some neat testing on water tightness/proof of Cap to Nipple. As most everyone that knows me, Knows i SWEAR by The Treso/Ampco nipples, They are by far the Most Durable nipple i have ever used, Before I switched to the Treso’s i was using RMC Stainless Nipples, i was averaging about 25 Shots with the Stainless and they were TOAST! Big Lead of 400 Grains and Above, along with 80-90 Grains of Swiss 2F powder is BRUTAL on Nipple Flash Holes!! Several of my Custom Bullet molds are 500 Grains and a few over 500, I just wasn’t getting any Time out of The RMC Brand Stainless nipples. These Treso/Ampco’s are TOUGH, REALLY Tough! I have a few of them that are in the 200 Shot a piece or more range, and Stil going STRONG (y) i pin gauge check them after each shooting session, They start out brand new at .028, i am only like .030 on at least 2 of these that have had the DAYLIGHTS Shot out of them with BIG Lead, and BIG Powder Charges. I need to order a Few of the Lehigh Stainless and Test them against these Treso/Ampco’s, The 17-4 Stainless That Lehigh is using is probably MUCH more durable than the Cheap RMC Stainless nipples i was using

The 1 Negative i found with the Original Treso’s Back When i first started shooting them was nipple to Cap fit, The CCi 11 Magnums would literally fall off the post, The German RWS 1075+ Caps hung on Good n tight, The 1075 (10-3/4) are just a tiny bit smaller than the No. 11 CCi’s. It is my understanding that Treso changed hands, Sold? The CCi Caps fit The last nipples i got from Buffalo Arms PERFECT, So they had to of addressed the Problem.

I Flared 2 of the Old Originals by Screwing them in a 1/4-28 Nut all the way down to protect the Threads, Then on an Anvil with a Finish Nail Set inside the Cone, I would Smack and then Test fit, repeat until the Cap just hangs on good n snug. There is a REALLY REALLY fine line here, You Don’t want to Flare to much, This will give cushion to the cap and might not Go off the 1st Strike? (I know this first hand 🖐 🤣) Same as a Dirty nipple Post. You want the Cap to sit Flush on the Nipple post, So when it is Hit, it goes off Reliably, NO CUSHION. If you suspect Cushion, make SURE and Push the Cap VERY Firmly to “Seat it” on the Post.

When I first heard that Lehigh might make and offer an #11 nipple - I sent a Treso-AMPCO to Dave to look at - primarily to get measurement of the nipple stack. The nipple I sent him had already passed the water test.

Then Lehigh told me about the metal they planned to use for the nipple. I was pretty sure it was going to be 17-4 stainless, but Lehigh said for the nipple the were going to use a metal that was even more durable to hammer hits than 17-4. S7 metal - never head of it until Lehigh told me. They believe this will be the most durable nipple out there.

So - I looked it up. Briefly this is what I found...

S7 Shock-Resisting Tool Steel

S7 Shock-Resisting Tool Steel is an air or oil hardening tool steel that is characterized by very high impact toughness. The combination of strength and high toughness makes it a candidate for a wide variety of tooling applications. It can be used successfully for both cold and hot work applications. Also suitable for hot work tools where the operating temperature does not exceed 1000°F (538°C). For plastic injection molds, S7 tool steel is available as a remelted, mold-quality product. The remelting process minimizes the number and sizes of nonmetallic inclusions in the steel, and thereby enhances the polishability for critical cavity, insert, and other tooling surfaces.

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
I definitely have to get at least 1 of these new Lehigh 1/4-28 nipples and test it. (y) I am REALLY curious if they will hold up as well as the Treso’s?

Here is a piece about the Treso/Ampco’s

TRESO nipples are made from Ampco, a tough alloy with a tensile strength of 118,000 psi, which is tougher than most steels used in muzzleloading barrels. This material provides more resistance to repeated blows from the hammer, and the high thermal conductivity of Ampco alloy affects a faster heat dissipation. This dissipation reduces erosion of the small base hole and assures a longer lasting nipple. All nipples have a small base hole (.028”) to greatly reduce the amount of escaping powder gases. Many muzzle loading experts feel an added benefit of the small base hole is the hot gases from the percussion cap are more concentrated and uniformly directed against the powder chamber. Use #11 caps. AMPCO Nipple shoulder size: Rifle Nipples .214" - Cap & Ball Nipples .174" - Muskets Nipples .250".

OP
missjordan
Alright i did make a decision and got a muzzleloader on order. I got the Ultra-lite! Pretty excited to have it be here next week so we can start messing around with it. Sportsman’s Warehouse had a really good price on this muzzleloader so it was worth it to me to spend a few hundred dollars more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
Alright i did make a decision and got a muzzleloader on order. I got the Ultra-lite! Pretty excited to have it be here next week so we can start messing around with it. Sportsman’s Warehouse had a really good price on this muzzleloader so it was worth it to me to spend a few hundred dollars more.

That’s AWESOME 😎 You will NOT regret the Knight Ultra Lite! I absolutely fell in LOVE with the U Lite of my Friends, And the funny thing is, i am really not much of an in-line Guy, i am a DIE HARD Fast Twist Sidelock Guy, But when i handled, and Shot the Knight Ultra Lite it COMPLETELY Changed my outlook/feelings toward them. In Muzzleloaders, Something has to be pretty darn Impressive to grab my attention, The Knight Ultra Lite Impressed the HECK out of me!! I am really excited to get my New Mountaineer, But i have a feeling i will stil end up buying an Ultra Lite as well 🤫🙂 For a Modern Hunting in-line Muzzleloader, The Ultra Lite is Simply an AWESOME Rig!!

Definitely keep us up to Date on your new Rifle!! What did you go with? Stainless, or Nitride? What Color Stock?

BIG CONGRATS on the new Rifle!!! 👍

sneaky

"DADDY"
That’s AWESOME You will NOT regret the Knight Ultra Lite! I absolutely fell in LOVE with the U Lite of my Friends, And the funny thing is, i am really not much of an in-line Guy, i am a DIE HARD Fast Twist Sidelock Guy, But when i handled, and Shot the Knight Ultra Lite it COMPLETELY Changed my outlook/feelings toward them. In Muzzleloaders, Something has to be pretty darn Impressive to grab my attention, The Knight Ultra Lite Impressed the HECK out of me!! I am really excited to get my New Mountaineer, But i have a feeling i will stil end up buying an Ultra Lite as well For a Modern Hunting in-line Muzzleloader, The Ultra Lite is Simply an AWESOME Rig!!

Definitely keep us up to Date on your new Rifle!! What did you go with? Stainless, or Nitride? What Color Stock?

BIG CONGRATS on the new Rifle!!!
Can't go wrong with buying a Tennessee made muzzleloader. The patron state of shooting stuff lol. Their shop is about 20 minutes from my old house. Good guys.

OP
missjordan
That’s AWESOME You will NOT regret the Knight Ultra Lite! I absolutely fell in LOVE with the U Lite of my Friends, And the funny thing is, i am really not much of an in-line Guy, i am a DIE HARD Fast Twist Sidelock Guy, But when i handled, and Shot the Knight Ultra Lite it COMPLETELY Changed my outlook/feelings toward them. In Muzzleloaders, Something has to be pretty darn Impressive to grab my attention, The Knight Ultra Lite Impressed the HECK out of me!! I am really excited to get my New Mountaineer, But i have a feeling i will stil end up buying an Ultra Lite as well For a Modern Hunting in-line Muzzleloader, The Ultra Lite is Simply an AWESOME Rig!!

BIG CONGRATS on the new Rifle!!!

I got this one!

3b2d2e6ef4b3d341d2b4fca5bdd96759.jpg

I will definitely keep you posted how my journey goes this year! I got stainless with a tan stock which is what Sportmans Warehouse had in stock. I was just on Knights website today looking at the 209 conversion kit and will order that here soon. Probably will carry it for Montana deer this year just for fun. Very excited for the journey

AWESOME! I really think you will like that rifle - goodness knows I do!!!

Can't go wrong with buying a Tennessee made muzzleloader. The patron state of shooting stuff lol. Their shop is about 20 minutes from my old house. Good guys.

Gosh! it is really a good thing that I do not live that close! I might not never come home. Actually Terry might not allow to come until I returned all the things that I think I might need! :D

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
AWESOME Rifle missjordan!! I like the Tan Stock, The 1 of my Friends that changed my life :ROFLMAO: Was Stainless, and had the Green Stock. They both look really good 👍

Any ideas what Bullets you plan to Shoot Through it? I do a LOT of Bullet Casting, I have had SEVERAL Custom Bullet molds made that i have Proven OVER N OVER in the 1:28 Twist .50 Cals, I could help ya out with some Bullets to Try if you like?

This is definitely 1 of my Favorites, this is my Copy of Dan’s Bullshop 460 Grain Bullet, It shoots STELLAR Through 1:28s, I sent an original Bullshop 460 Grain Bullet to Tom at Accurate Bullet Molds and had him Duplicate it as close as he possibly could, he hit it Spot on

Bullshop 460 on the left, My 485 on the Right, Both of these Bullets are SERIOUS Elk Medicine! I killed my Cos last year with the 485
EiV6CRzs.jpg

3 Shot Group with my Bullshop Bullet, They do REALLY well! This is on Video as well
NcLL4sEl.jpg

Here is another Bullet of mine from a Custom Mold i had made, this Bullet shoots STELLAR as well Through 1:28 Twist, and is a little lighter, less Recoiling, and Stil PLENTY enough Medicine for ANY Elk!
TumXZDCl.jpg

395 Grain Bullet above, Complete pass through
I40AF70.jpg

OP
missjordan
AWESOME Rifle missjordan!! I like the Tan Stock, The 1 of my Friends that changed my life :ROFLMAO: Was Stainless, and had the Green Stock. They both look really good

Any ideas what Bullets you plan to Shoot Through it? I do a LOT of Bullet Casting, I have had SEVERAL Custom Bullet molds made that i have Proven OVER N OVER in the 1:28 Twist .50 Cals, I could help ya out with some Bullets to Try if you like?

This is definitely 1 of my Favorites, this is my Copy of Dan’s Bullshop 460 Grain Bullet, It shoots STELLAR Through 1:28s, I sent an original Bullshop 460 Grain Bullet to Tom at Accurate Bullet Molds and had him Duplicate it as close as he possibly could, he hit it Spot on

Bullshop 460 on the left, My 485 on the Right, Both of these Bullets are SERIOUS Elk Medicine! I killed my Cos last year with the 485
EiV6CRzs.jpg

3 Shot Group with my Bullshop Bullet, They do REALLY well! This is on Video as well
NcLL4sEl.jpg

Here is another Bullet of mine from a Custom Mold i had made, this Bullet shoots STELLAR as well Through 1:28 Twist, and is a little lighter, less Recoiling, and Stil PLENTY enough Medicine for ANY Elk!
TumXZDCl.jpg

395 Grain Bullet above, Complete pass through
I40AF70.jpg

I will definitely take you up on that! Husband and I haven’t decided which bullets well run thru it yet. I will send you a pm so we can exchange phone numbers and get something cast

geoman99

FNG
I’ve been wanting to get into black powder for a couple years now and when i checked the Idaho draw results i was successful in drawing a muzzleloader elk tag. Now i need to make a purchase for an open breech muzzleloader. Any recommendations on inline muzzleloader brands? I’ve been looking at Knights selections and the Bighorn seems to be the gun I keep circling back to. Are there any others that i should also consider as well? It would be a plus if i can exchange some parts to make it compatible for less restrictive states as well. Might even use it in my home state of Montana for fun. Thinking my budget will be in the $600 range

Thompson Center makes great muzzleloader. Myself and other friends have had good success with the TC Triumph.