Open carry?

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
I do a lot of traveling hunting around the USA and never seen this. At a cross roads in western New Mexico sat a little dinner . Stop there for breakfast and on the front of the menu it said "10% off all open carry customers." . I looked around and spotted 2. Any one else been there or seen that before? An armed society is a polite society.

I've been to several diners in Wyoming that encourage carrying in any form. Never been to one that specifically asks for open carry.

ZDR

WKR
i'm guessing you were in somewhere in Catron county...open carry is a way of life down there.

I am in favor of an open carry option but not much of a fan of open carry. I saw an idiot in a gun shop. Major mall cop vibe. He had a giant chrome or polish stainless 1911 with a compensator in a shoulder holster with 2 extra mags on the offside. He was strutting around like a jackass. Everyone he walked past rolled their eyes at him.

guys like him. Idiots taking their AR for a walk in Walmart. I think they just do more harm than good.

grfox92

WKR
I live on Wyoming and almost never see anyone open carry.

It's more common during hunting season for sure, I think most people are more comfortable concealed.

I know I am. I feel like there is a spot light on anyone who is open carrying weather you are in a pro 2a area or not. If you have a pistol on your hip you are drawing all the attention to yourself.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Not long after Kansas passed the concealed carry law (no permit required) I saw a dude in a grocery store with a pistol on his hip. He was dressed like a cowboy, and may have been part of a gunfight kinda show this little tourist area puts on. Despite being a gun owner and supporter I remember having an emotional reaction to it. It was foreign to me, and there was like a stimulus antibody response. I acknowledged this weird feeling to myself, decided it was weird, and now if I see a guy open carrying it doesn't bother me in the least.

I've been thinking myself about open carrying, especially in areas with lots of people, if my family is there.

Idk after having been in the military weapons are just tools to me. No big deal. Mise well be a multi tool or a set of shears.
Body language is what I watch.
Its dudes with large knives exposed that bother me more.
Most likely means there a fellon already and cannot risk carrying a gun.

I carry every day but try my best not to even print. I don't know why you would want to attract that kind of attention by open carrying (except for the 10% off your meal).

For the record I'm pro-open carry and live in a state that allows it but can't think of many benefits.

I am in favor of an open carry option but not much of a fan of open carry. I saw an idiot in a gun shop. Major mall cop vibe. He had a giant chrome or polish stainless 1911 with a compensator in a shoulder holster with 2 extra mags on the offside. He was strutting around like a jackass. Everyone he walked past rolled their eyes at him.

guys like him. Idiots taking their AR for a walk in Walmart. I think they just do more harm than good.
This always seems touchy....but I am for sure in this camp ^^^. As a 24 yr LEA...I see more tomphuckery and unsat BS among this crowd. Regardless of "Right"....it's embarrassing. I've seen so many Fudds that are almost tying some paracord around their waist holding up a tube sock with a pistol stashed in it. Literally seen a dude in Carhartt bibs that added the belt to the outside of his winter jammies with no belt loops...so he could hold his Kel-Tec pistol (extended magazine of course....'just in case')

Another had a custom Dual Wielding small of the back rig...for a pair of full sized 1911s. Mexican Reload perhaps?

Can be your Right all you want but the negative mental images that cannot be erased from the anti gun people certainly don't offset the $30 contribution to the NRA.......the Pro Gun vote from those turned off will never be recovered.

Put a shirt over that stuff. Simple

Brother in law just got back from Rifle Colorado and was telling me about a little dinner there called “shooters” all the waitresses open carry.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
Most of the time outside of the house or camping im carrying IWB, but OWB is a lot more comfy and a T shirt generally covers it either way. My wife says she cant or doesnt notice any printing. If im camping or carrying a super blackhawk, kinda hard to conceal that one. Most of the time if i see someone open carrying im staring trying to figure out what model they are carrying

A diner I frequent in Northern NM is owned by the Wife of the Mayor of the town. He helps some mornings waiting on tables, and he open carries. Gotta love a town where the Mayor open carries.

Living in SW Washington I see folks with pistols on their hips often. Doesn’t bother me. I think many folks don’t even notice it.
Never seen an outfit offer discounts for it though.

WCB

WKR
Never saw a discount...but I am in the crowd of you have the right to do it so go ahead... but 99% of the time you look like a Jack Wagon. Does it make me uncomfortable...no. Do I think that most of the people doing it hurt gun owners image by drawing attention to themselves on purpose while being complete tools..yes.