Open Country Elk

I’m interested in hunting elk out in the lower elevation wide open. Sage brush/grasslands. Doesn’t seem like there’s much on this topic, but want to learn more! Curious what experience you all have had or seen and any success you’ve had!

Archery? Randy Newberg has some of these hunts on YouTube from New Mexico a few years back. Hard to get in range. He did shoot one at about five yards which was cool.

Swede

WKR
I would set a ground blind up at a waterhole or if you can find a good tree for a stand go with that. You will not see a lot of elk, but the ones in the area will likely come in for a shot. Do not use a decoy there. They will come in for the water.

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
I’m interested in hunting elk out in the lower elevation wide open. Sage brush/grasslands. Doesn’t seem like there’s much on this topic, but want to learn more! Curious what experience you all have had or seen and any success you’ve had!
Agree with the others who responded above. Open country is tricky because of lack of cover etc. If your state or the state your considering has multiple seasons, such as early, mid, and late, opt for the later season as elk come lower when food supplies covered by snow become harder to get. We've had luck in open, lower elevations, amongst sage in rolling hills, but only because they were late season hunts. - rifle.

Basically what my buddy and I ended up doing last year. 10" snow in the flattops 1st season rifle and we headed for lower elevations. Lots of elk had moved down temporarily into the sage. We hunted a couple herds between 6K and 7K on BLM. He shot his in the sage/pinon about 6500'

The lower stuff that was pure sage was tough because they could slip through in a deep draw and you'd never see them even though it seemed pretty flat and open.

Glassing will be your friend in open country. Stalk when you have terrain to work with. If the terrain isn't very conducive to staking, learn their patterns and wait in ambush.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

NYSKIER

WKR
Cool topic I'd love to hunt elk in some open country however I feel like they don't get low in the sage and such until later in the season and by then I'm in whitetail gear at home. I usually do my trips early on when they are up high

Okhotnik

WKR
Cool topic I'd love to hunt elk in some open country however I feel like they don't get low in the sage and such until later in the season and by then I'm in whitetail gear at home. I usually do my trips early on when they are up high

I have a few small herds on my property now hanging out in the sage and bitter brush. If they have a decent water source, feed and can get out of the heat ( bedding in deep canyons) you most certainly get into elk in the sage. Remember some of the sage is over 6 -7feet tall. I have snuck within 20 yards of bulls in sage and could not see them ( only antlers, body part) because of high thick sage.Hunt escape routes, travel corridors. I have noticed in some areas the wolves have pushed them down into sage and ag areas IMO

jMJmNqd.jpg

NYSKIER

WKR
I have a few small herds on my property now hanging out in the sage and bitter brush. If they have a decent water source, feed and can get out of the heat ( bedding in deep canyons) you most certainly get into elk in the sage. Remember some of the sage is over 6 -7feet tall. I have snuck within 20 yards of bulls in sage and could not see them ( only antlers, body part) because of high thick sage.Hunt escape routes, travel corridors. I have noticed in some areas the wolves have pushed them down into sage and ag areas IMO

jMJmNqd.jpg
Really cool pic and good info guess you'll have to let me come out to hunt them there with you