Open Fire Hot Tent / Backcountry Shelter with Smoke Opening

Frontiers

FNG
This sparked my interest due to a response I posted in regards to a Luxe Hot Tent? What brands offer and Open Top Hot Tent capability? As far as I can tell only Luxe and Tent Tipi offer the ability to have an open fire inside the tent. This is ideal mainly with social / summer camping. Bottom Line- I would liked to purchase a hot-tent from a a US manufacturer that offers the open top / open fire capability. See the photos below.

Tent Tipi (pulled from Mansfield Outdoors).

Very large smoke opening ensures smoke expellation when using with an open fire inside, and very efficient ventilation on those warmer days.

Tentipi's patented In-Tent Vent™ system allows for maximum control of the tent’s internal climate and provides the user with a number of unique advantages. This ventilation management system is one of the design features that put Tentipi® Adventure Nordic tipi's in a class of their own.

1613794304773.png
1613794182398.png

Luxe Megahorn and Megahorn XL:

This winter tent shelter also features a large removable and sealable chimney cap at the very top opening of the teepee. Here a stove pipe with a protective sleeve (if you would like to install a stove near the center pole) or wood fire smoke can exit the top hole of the shelter.
1613794358855.png

reaper

WKR
An open fire in a luxe tent made of cheap silnylon... I'll do that when I gonna feel suicidal.

I think Robby have a YouTube video of a review on a tenttipi with an open fire.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

OP
Frontiers

Frontiers

FNG
An open fire in a luxe tent made of cheap silnylon... I'll do that when I gonna feel suicidal.

I think Robby have a YouTube video of a review on a tenttipi with an open fire.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk
"I'll do that when I gonna feel suicidal"

1613795636282.png

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like a bad idea from a couple perspectives....but burning your gear seems likely.

Mt Al

WKR
Cool artwork on their brochure (I couldn't find a way to make it read sarcastically...sorry) and I do appreciate that the clip-art-fire is lilliputian. I volunteer someone else to try this in all kinds of conditions and take actual pictures. Honestly seems like a complete pain in the aXX having to adjust the air intakes, clean sooty/dirty interior tent fabric, deal with the inevitable smoke, watch sparks touch the fabric, etc.

Looks very sales-pitchy for aspirational outdoors people, but I'm wrong a lot so could be the next awesome thing.

What could go wrong?

Wrench

WKR
If I could go out and kill flame retardant, silnylon skinned meat with reckless abandon like the comparison folks did....I'd be all in. Fact is between the shelter and everything in the spark zone....I have more dough wrapped up than I do the rig I used to get there.

I would have to experience one in use to become a believer. Among other safety factors already mentioned, it seems like it would be awful smoky inside.

After watching that video it doesn't seem so bad. Looks like you just have to be careful walking around and gear in close proximity. Sparks are inevitable there unless you were to bring a spark arresting lid of some sort.

OP
Frontiers

Frontiers

FNG
Reaper, to your point the TentTipi is made of a proprietary cotton/poly blend, I believe titled Cotopolmex though depends on the style. To the group I suppose I should have been more clear in terms of "open fire". I mean the use of a firebox such as the Hekla posted above, the Toaks Titanium, Solo Stove, 3W with Open Stove option, etc. This comes into play in alot of areas where an open fire isn't allowed (Grand Canyon Raft Trips, BLM land during certain fire seasons, designated backcountry tent areas on the East Coast / Appalachian Trail) and you want to warm up quickly out of the weather (or as I stated in social camping). Either way, I'm not finding much luck on the "American Made" criteria, maybe for good reason due to safety considerations. I would play devils advocate that you need to pay as much attention to the stove pipe in high wind situations, which is why I'm a fan of tents where the stove jack is near the center pole (also provides additional heat) and to pay attention to how the stove and pipe are configured. For what it's worth here is the Luxe version with a firebox (Toaks Titanium), not it is a small fire and not what I was originally thinking (Tent TIpi had it right):

Luxe Open Fire with Toaks Stove

valtteri

FNG
Open fire tipis have been used here in Finland for a long time. I’ve used one too.

As long as the tipi itself is big enough vs size of the fire you make, you’ll be good to go.

In my experience the smoke level will hover somewhere around 4-5ft. Probably depends on how the vent/top is designed, ie. how well the tipi drafts.

There will be sparks but it depends a lot on the wood you burn. Eventually you’ll get some spark holes but they won’t destroy the tipi.

In the photo is an old school open top tipi I got to try out. It’s just basically a big open top and drafts pretty well. About as straightforward and simple as a heated shelter can be.

I think originally the hunters and woodsmen over here just carried a canvas/tarp, cut poles from trees for pitching and then just built a fire. Shelter and heat!

Attachments

• C92C717B-F83F-40A8-87D9-515B5646DE9D.jpeg
    C92C717B-F83F-40A8-87D9-515B5646DE9D.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 19