Open or covered turrets

Fjryan

FNG
I’m wanting to upgrade my low dollar starter duplex scope with something a mid range option. The rifle is being used for backpack hunting mule deer in eastern Washington.

I’d like to know peoples’ opinions on the reasons they like having turret covers vs open turrets. Does using a scope cover effectively keep the turrets from turning as it’s rubbing against me, the pack, brush, and whatever else it out there. If I need to dial elevation or windage on a longer shot, will the time to remove the cover or the risk of losing them be worth it.

Techniques and work-arounds for these and other issues that I haven’t considered would be great also. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Joe

JFK

WKR
Capped turrets are generally very low profile, resulting in a lighter scope. They are there to zero your scope and then not mess with a whole lot. If the ranges you hunt are limited to say 300ish yards you don’t need to dial. One less thing to think about.

If you want to dial there are reliable scopes with capped turrets (nightforce shv), but most scopes meant to dial have exposed turrets. Some have a zero stop to and/or lock so it doesn’t get spun accidentally or get lost on what rotation it’s on. Scopes meant for reliable, repeatable dialing are heavier because the guts have to withstand frequent adjustments and return reliably.

One isn’t better than the other...they are just different and the advantages of each have everything to do with where you hunt, how you hunt and how much practice you want to commit to with your gear. I’ve let a few animals walk because they were at distances I wasn’t comfortable shooting at with capped turrets and duplex reticle. I’ve shot many more where a 200 yard zero, quick acquisition and no thinking about turrets was a huge benefit.

tdot

WKR
After 2 seasons of hunting with exposed turrets on a Nightforce, I've never had an accidental adjustment of the turrets. The ability to quickly dial without removing the caps is worth it for me. The major negative I now consider with exposed turrets, is the bulkiness of the turret. While I'm used to it now, I'd still prefer something less bulky.

bradb

WKR
Locking, exposed turrets with zero stop.
If not locking I tape the windage so it can't move and hold wind. I did have a accidental windage turn before I taped pulling gun from scabbard. Would never have capped if I plan on dialing elevation

Rock-o

WKR
My Nightforce NX8 has an exposed elevation and capped windage. I hold wind so I leave the cap on all of the time. Elevation has never turned on me. Wouldn't matter if it did though.

rayporter

WKR
twice i have had a turret cap work loose and fall off.

also i once witnessed a fellow that had put his turret cap on very tight. when he finally got it loose and removed it it had the whole erector assembly attached to it when it came out.

OP
Fjryan

Fjryan

FNG
Thanks, guys, for the info. I also found a article “Hash Marks or Turrets” that Robby Denning has up on here just after I posted the question.

I’m still a few years or a major budget review away from getting a Nightforce or similar high quality piece. I’m looking at Athlon’s HMR, BTR, or something else in that price range. I’ve seen the capped windage and open elevation that Rock-o mentioned so I’ll look again for something in that category. I’d be comfortable holding for wind after a little practice with the scope. Though with the ammo situation these days. . .

Sled

WKR
Thanks, guys, for the info. I also found a article “Hash Marks or Turrets” that Robby Denning has up on here just after I posted the question.

I’m still a few years or a major budget review away from getting a Nightforce or similar high quality piece. I’m looking at Athlon’s HMR, BTR, or something else in that price range. I’ve seen the capped windage and open elevation that Rock-o mentioned so I’ll look again for something in that category. I’d be comfortable holding for wind after a little practice with the scope. Though with the ammo situation these days. . .

i did the vortex LR thing for a bit after my PST kept turning both the windage and elevation depending on how it was carried. the LR gave me capped windage and exposed elevation with zero stop but not locking. i wanted a lock and to go lighter weight, so after a lot of searching i landed on the tract toric with a 1" tube. i plan on getting the 30mm in the future for my target guns but right now i'm satisfied with the modularity and weight on the scope i have.

Here are my thoughts and recommendations (very limited experience)

Covered Turrets - meopta optika 5 series $480 I have a 4-20 and it is awesome. I can dial in just like with exposed turrets, no zero stop but that's not a big deal to me since I hunt and don't compete, lower profile. With these you zero then remove the caps and reset them for your zero. Super easy and to me it's kinda the best of both worlds for hunting and fun at the range and reaching out in the field.

Exposed Turrets - nightforce shv $1100 or so. The scope is way better but I see no advantage to exposed turrets for hunting. To me I prefer the lower turrets.

Petersen

FNG
I like exposed elevation and capped windage. Generally the reticles have hold for windage too. Prefer that to dialing windage