open or peep

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard good things about the williams, too. I've only owned the XS, so can't say which is better.
I've owned 4 different muzzleloaders, all came with open sights (v-notch style). One didn't come with sights, so I tried the peep route. It did seem to improve accuracy with some groups close to 1" at 100 yds. I didn't get that with the open sights, more like 3". I haven't hunted with peeps enough, though, to know how well it performs in low light. My open sighted muzzleloaders seem to handle the low light better.

Keep us posted on the performance of the peep vs the open.

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use the adjustable williams sight, great sight picture at any range as far as I can shoot.I used open for one year no comparison.As far as low light I see better with the williams.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Jim my old buddy, good to have you! Are you getting geared up for the scouting season? Getting a few calls, be interesting to see what $5 gas does to the scouting business.

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey robby, Heck yeah I cant wait to get back out,Ive been out glassing bulls on the winter range here in Montana the big boys are way up high, barley any snow,weve got a bit more snow up in North Idaho. Mabye more people will leave the scouting to us rather than take a long exspensive trip.

I really like the Willams FP series. They aren't cheap but they're solid and accurate. I got one a couple of years ago when I realized that scopes weren't legal AFTER I drew a nice mule deer tag. I was able to figure it out in time and the peep sight accuracy really suprised me and the deer!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Alpinehunter, welcome to Rokslide and all the way from upstate NY, I see! Do you hunt out west, too? What kind of muzzleloader opportunity do you have in NY?
How much did the Williams FP set you back?

Hey Robby, Thanks. I love western hunting and I get out there every 2 or 3 years. I hope to do more if I make it to retirement! I have a scoped omega and the open sighted encore. My aging eyes make the scope a little easier to shoot but I really like the challenge of having to get within 150 yds. I live in a shotgun regulated area which also allows muzzleloaders so I've been hunting with the smokepole for about 20 years now. We don't have great deer hunting around here but I have fun with it. The Williams FP sights cost around 75 bucks and they are well worth it.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Alpinehunter, glad to meet another deer hunter. I'll check into the Williams FP.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
JPhelps,
that is what my original Remington 700 muzz came with. It was fine, but once I switched to peeps, I found there was an advantage except in very low light.

Foldem

WKR
Do you guys know if any of the big box stores carry the Williams peeps in their store locations? I would like to try to look through one before I jump in and buy one. Also, are they OK for close range shooting as well (<50 yds)?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Kevin, I honestly don't know as I bought my peeps of the web. Good idea to check one out before buying. Anyone else know?

Also, the peeps are even better at close yardages under 50. Really no different than a bow set up which goes down below 20.

What you'll find with peeps vs open sights is that you can almost forget about the rear sight with a peep where with an open sight, you have to line both sights up, it's more automatic with a peep so even easier operation at all yardages

Last edited:

philw

Lil-Rokslider
JPhelps,
that is what my original Remington 700 muzz came with. It was fine, but once I switched to peeps, I found there was an advantage except in very low light.

And that's why I like fiber optic sights on mine, a couple of times they've really come in handy with low light, they glow like a beacon. I've used peeps and can shoot better groups with peeps, but those FO sights just seem to work better in the field, for my eyes anyway. I find that they're easier to line up while keeping my focus on the target, early and late in low light. I just use the factory sights on my T/C rifles.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
philw, I agree on the FO, and wish there was a FO front sight I could pair with my rear peep.

Speaking of eyes, I threw on a pair of reading glasses and sighted down my barrel- WOW! my eyes definitely aren't 20 years old anymore.
Do you or anyone know if someone makes shooting glasses with a 1.0 x or 1.5 x like reading glasses?