Opening Day SC

Yesterday started out purdy good, not perfect but I got one down. My wife was hunting with me as we have had several poaching issues as of late on our lease. She is a better caller than I am and has dozens of beards to prove it. We sat back to back on a good size oak on the edge of a swamp. It's been wet, with 2018 being the wettest year on record. I don't hear well and could not hear the two far off gobbles she heard at the crack of light. We called but got not answers. About 8:45, we had both been calling at the same time when a gobbler answered and sounded close on my side. Soon another call was answered from even closer. I spotted a long beard about 60 yds out in the thick stuff, he was coming slowly our way. I whispered to Kay I could see him, then 2, then 3 now 5 long beards were inbound. My wife was trying to ease around the big oak so we could "make a mess". You can kill 2 of your 3 bird limit in the same day. At 35 yds. the lead turkey saw something he didn't like and started to leave. I told Kay they were leaving cause she could not see them yet and I was gonna shoot. The one I shot went down, I worked the pump on my 870 and lined up on a 2nd bird and the gun just snapped. I worked the pump again, snap. By now the bird I had shot was up on his feet going around in tight circles. I told Kay to give me her gun to finish mine off not realizing she was about to shoot one. She gave me her gun instead of shooting and I got my bird anchored. I have never had my pump gun jam before. The feed plate was stuck about half way up not allowing the next shell to cycle up. Five long beards came in, four left. We had the same thing happen a few years ago on an opening day when 5 long beards came in and we gave 3 of them a ride to the house. Oh well, we left plenty for seed. 10" beard 7/8" spurs a 2 yr old. This bird flopped around in the mud and didn't take a good picture.

OOYmujQ.jpg

weaver

WKR
Very nice. I can't wait to start chasing gobblers.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Bosbourne

FNG
Nice gobbler. Also from SC and the plan is to try my luck first thing Saturday morning. Hopefully we have some of the good luck you had without the bad.