Opening day.......Would you?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Opening day, you have this young 5x5 in front of you............. Taking this shot? You have 20 days to hunt throughout September? 3 bear tags, two elk tags in your pocket?
I thought you didn’t like elk hunting. Why are you spending 20 days out there? If I didn’t like elk hunting and just did it for the meat then I guess I would.

OP
C
This thread is almost 30 days old.

@Coveyleader how are you handling the same situation in 11 months?

The same as I have for quite a while,. Try to shoot a cow early, meat in the freezer , and then chase bulls around later on with my other tag. In saying that, kids are out of the house now so we really only need one elk these days so I may change things up. Going to try something different next year so we shall see.

The same as I have for quite a while,. Try to shoot a cow early, meat in the freezer , and then chase bulls around later on with my other tag. In saying that, kids are out of the house now so we really only need one elk these days so I may change things up. Going to try something different next year so we shall see.

I had a goal with my tag last year, passed on 3 opportunities.

Still don't regret it.

Jaker_cc

WKR
I've been hunting big game for a dozen years or so, not a lot, but I've only ever killed animals that were personal bests, or at least debatable on the hoof that they were (I had one deer I misjudged a bit and he ended up being a few inches smaller than a previous deer). It's really just to challenge myself. Sometimes I eat tags, sometimes I end up filling them on cows/does. It's not a hard rule and I don't expect to follow it for the rest of my life, but that's just how it is right now.

Looking forward about two weeks from this post, I’d say you are done bull elk hunting then haha.

Opening has come and gone in most places. I think it depends. First years elk hunting I'd shoot the first legal thing to be dumb enough to come in to me. Now I'll wait. I have enough meat in the freezer, I've passed up several smaller elk this year in anticipation of bigger guy during rifle season. But, I'm ok with tag soup if I can't get the right one. So it really depends on your goals and your freezer. I used to be a don't pass up anything guy, but now i'm ok with both ways of hunting. Am I a trophy hunter now?