Opening day!

Wow. Nice work!

How about some details? Where are you located and what has your strategy been to kill each of these two bucks? What kind of intel did you have on them going into opening day and how did you get that intel?

OP
A

Aeast

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, I'm in Ohio. Both these bucks were shot at food locations. (Ie. Soybean field)

In 2019 I really started putting time and alot of effort into trying to kill a specific buck and not just setting up in a spot I though was good and hoping to see one. Read alot of books, listened to podcasts and learned from guys who kill big bucks. I've ben using my camera data to really try and narrow down exact bedding areas and where they travel to put myself in the best position to kill. I started hunting less and scouting more. I think one of the biggest factors has been my scent control method. Adopted Eberharts regime and it honestly helped me kill these two bucks. Both hunts I had deer directly down wind (including the 2019 buck) that I know would have blown and ruined my hunt. Seems crazy but it works if you are meticulous about it. I hunt on winds now that I wouldn't have in the past.

And as always, the bucks have to be there to kill them. 2020 there really wasn't a buck I wanted to shoot, but I did get alot of data on the buck I shot this year.

Absolute stud! Great that your hard work and dedication are paying off. This makes success even sweeter!

OP
A

Aeast

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone, it is very satisfying when all the work pays off. I think for me, killing a specific buck is most rewarding. This is the buck that started it all, I hunted him for 2 years and only saw him once. I think if I knew then, what I do now I could have had a better chance of killing him. Neighbor ended up killing him. That stung just a little.

MFDC2647.JPG
MFDC2648.JPG