Opening weekend squirrels

dhaverstick

Lil-Rokslider
Missouri’s squirrel season always opens the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend and you can bet your bacon grease that I will be out on that day trying to thin the local herd. My house butts up right against a smorgasbord of squirrel chow so I don’t even have to leave the front porch to get groceries unless I just want to. However, my wife doesn’t care for the smell of black powder smoke wafting through the living room so I only use a bow when pursuing “yard squirrels”. For their more wild cousins, I press my 12 gauge flintlock smoothbore, Ole Betsy, into service. Without working too hard, I managed to put five in the freezer with both weapons over the weekend and I bet if I looked out the window right now there would be at least a half dozen within 20 yards eating on mulberries and honeysuckle blooms. It’s a tough job trying to keep their population in check but I’ll be on the front line everyday fighting the good fight until Missouri’s archery season opens in September.

A view from the dog yard. Lots of squirrel habitat up close and personal.
9HTS8si.jpg

A couple of bow kills. I use my lily-white legs to momentarily blind my quarry.
3U96P57.jpg

5EKW3A1.jpg

I broke out Ole Betsy to kill the last three. My mother has already laid claim to these so I'll have to get more when I get a chance.
SNByv3g.jpg

UQtYUlC.jpg

Darren