Opinion: best overall rifle for hunting?

TwoTikkas

WKR
Even though I'm an unabashed Tikka toter,I have used other brands. Shot this guy on the right of way stand posted above.( The snowy pic with the bog pod ) with a Kimber 30\06.

TwoTikkas

WKR
This guy fell to a semi custom Rem m700 in 280 AI. The 140 grain Sierra Pro Hunter I believe. Possibly the best non magnum all around I've ever owned. Better than my chosen 270 Win. If for no other reason than bullet selection. I have to give the 270 the nod personally purely from an ammunition perspective. If for any reason I need some good ammo quick,the stuff is honestly everywhere.

Last edited:
I’m not a Remington fan, if I was going to have only one gun, I wouldn’t want a plastic stock.
FYI, Tikka synthetic stocks are not "plastic" but in fact space age polymer, sort of on the same topic line with carbon fiber and such …. (just in case you were curious)

TwoTikkas

WKR

I am forced to admit that I have really fallen for my Kimber HUNTER 280 AI, just another "plastic" stocked rifle that shoots lights out, carries and functions flawlessly and fits like a custom appendage
[/QUOTE]

I was raised in the days of Weatherby,Sako,Colt\Sauer. Beautiful glossy deeply blued rifles. I still have a soft spot for the like. But. I can also appreciate the utilitarianism provided by the fantastic plastics. I could have taken my Classic Select on my mule deer hunt. And basically destroyed it. Bouncing around the BLM two ruts in an F350, isn't the place for a beautiful rifle. I've come to refer to the T3 as the Glock of rifles. Kimber hunter, R.A.R. , SPS Remington. Won't win a single beauty contest. But I won't loose any sleep using it as a rough service killing tool.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
FYI, Tikka synthetic stocks are not "plastic" but in fact space age polymer, sort of on the same topic line with carbon fiber and such …. (just in case you were curious)

No they aren’t, they are the same as the cheap plastic stocks that every other company uses on their budget rifles, maybe slightly better but that’s it. Space age??? Well we live in the space age so sure.

What I mean to say I I prefer a fiberglass stock of some sort.

aaron34

FNG
Another vote for the T3 here. I got a great deal from EuroOptic when they were liquidating their stock. I got it in 270 but probably should have sized up a caliber since I already own a 308 and 223. Shoots great and looks good too!

aaron34

FNG
Insane deal. I'm disappointed I hadn't ordered sooner than I did. Could have picked up a bigger caliber.

No they aren’t, they are the same as the cheap plastic stocks that every other company uses on their budget rifles, maybe slightly better but that’s it. Space age??? Well we live in the space age so sure.

What I mean to say I I prefer a fiberglass stock of some sort.
READ the Tikka literature ….. AND who designed them for Tikka

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
7 Mag is great - Will handle anything in the lower 48 with no problem. Ammo readily available and great reloading options. As far as rifle... all comes down to what you want to do. I've been shooting a Rem Sendero and it has been great. Elk, Muley, Coues... check, check, check. A little on the heavy side, but I'm a big dude and and in pretty good shape so I actually like the extra heft - Helps allow me to see my hits on game, tames recoil, and has made for a really accurate out of the box production rifle. Only change I have made to the rifle is the trigger.