opinion for hunting tacoma or 4runner (already have a big truck)

Fatcamp

WKR
Great input, Kindo. Thank you all. Pretty much decided for a change. Due to construction work I've driven a full size truck for a very long time. A new career puts me in a position to do something different. Was leaning towards Tacoma, but some looking has me learn my towards 4Runner.

Calcoyote

FNG
I don't have anything to say that has not already been said. I have a 2014 Taco with the TRD Off Road package so it has the locking rear diff. I wanted a long bed so I got the extended cab rather than the quad cab.

All said I could not be happier. I have used it in Oregon in the Metolius unit and was able to turn around on narrow roads. I have gone predator calling in Eastern Oregon in Dec and I took it to Western Montana last Whitetail season and it really did great. I could not be happier.

My only complaint with a truck vs the 4 Runner is my Taco is a little light on the read end. If you are driving a paved road with snow and ice I need the 4WD locked in to keep the rear end from fishtailing. And even with the 4WD it is not as stable as a 4 Runner would be since it has more weight on the rear end. THIS WAS EASILY FIXED. I went down to Home Depot and grabbed 4 bags of sand for $18 and now the rear end is VERY stable in icy conditions.

I'm a 3rd gen 4runner owner - never had another toyota. I dig the 3rd gens because their super reliable and simple. Also, if you compare price on a 3rd gen 4runner vs the same era Tacoma's, the 4runner is half the price - they are cheap! I picked up my mint 96 with 175K on it for $3500.

Don't get me wrong, I dig the Tacos, and would buy a 1st Gen double cab if I could get it for cheap, but they tend to be overpriced.

Also, the 3rd Gen 4runners were made in Japan and I don't believe they suffered the frame rust issues that the 1st Gen taco's did.

id260

FNG
keep looking at a 4runner for short hunting trips where i don't pull my big fifth wheel with my f350. has anyone gone from tacoma to 4runner or vice versa and why? i usually drive my f350 with my atv in the back. was hoping a 4runner would do it all (mostly)
Both are great rigs. Since you have an ATV, I’d get the Tacoma so you can put it in the back. Wouldn’t shy away from a frontier either.

99 4 runner I have has 300k all i do is change the Timing belt and water pump every 80-100k , keep oil fresh and tires. Thing is a beast will go anywhere with its short wheel base. What I like is i lay the back seat down and toss a sleeping bag out and i can move camp anytime with no tent to mess with. Ive been rolling this runner to commute to work and hunt in since 2006.

Craw3773

FNG
I believe Tacoma's are made in Texas. Only drawback for me with a forerunner is the mud, grease, and blood that would end up in the back end. It's a lot easier to power wash a truck bed than the inside of a vehicle

I have both a 13 Taco and an 04 4Runner, they've never let me down. I do wish for a bit more room now and again, but overall I am very satisfied with both vehicles.

322k on my 06 Tacoma and she still runs great. In addition to the obvious downsides compared to a full size I will mention:

Fuel economy isn’t as good as what you’d expect

The wind/road noise is much more than any full size

But, this truck has been a tremendous value for me. I don’t have any logical reasons to not get another one.

Fatcamp

WKR
Excellent!!! What kinda hitch hauler is that? Or how do you have it configured to carry the ice chests like that?
I think the actual Hitch-Hauler. My wife had it for her car and I made it mine. It came this way. I like it but worry full coolers would be a bit much. For the ride home we could put them in the back.

I can get a better picture of it. Pretty sure I could carry three full size coolers.

94 4runner here. Mine has about a 4-5 in lift with 35s and I consider it the perfect hunting unit. Plenty of space for all my gear and sleeping in the back. Not sure if someone 6’2 could sleep back there but it works well at 5’10. It goes over just about anything in 2wd. Manual. I’m taking it on it’s first long trip in 4 weeks. If it’s older definitely make sure you get the 3.4liter. I have a 3.0 and it does very well in the mountains but is dog slow on hwy inclines. I love the tailgate.