Opinion needed : Choosing a rifle for my grandson

LaGriz

WKR
My Grandson Just graduated High School and will turn 18 early in the fall. My gift of a rifle has narrowed down to the following weapons.

1.) Short action Tikka T-3 lite in a black synthetic stock. at approx. weight 6.5#, 22" barrel, matt blue finish for around $675 + tax

2.) Bergera short action with camo synthetic stock, 22" barrel, Cerakote Finish for just over $700+ tax.

3.) Winchester Model 70 Featherweight (made in Portugal) Walnut stock, .6,75#, CRF, 3-position safety, 22" blued barrel at $670 on clearance.

Admit that I'm bias towards the Winchester. The Wood stocked Model 70 has a free-floated barrel, Presently surprised at the quality, fit-n-finish where the wood and metal meet. The action is very smooth and has the classic 3-possition safety that I am so found of. Retail price is $900-$1000. At $670 I feel this is a good price point. I'm a big fan of wood stocks. I don't think my grandson cares for them nearly as much I do. This rifle just looks so classic, I can only think how satisfied I would have been to get a rifle of this quality upon graduation.

Looks like the caliber will be .308 WIN. This will be his only rifle and will have to do for all big game hunts. My plan includes mounting a Minox HD 2X10X40 scope presently mounted on my Rem M-700 Mountain Rifle chambered in.280 Rem. Looks like his Paw Paw will then up grade the .280 with some slightly higher end glass.

LaGriz

TxxAgg

WKR
A walnut/blued rifle makes a nice gift but as his only rifle I'd want one that could stand up to some abuse. If you're willing to buy online, you can get a T3x stainless for the same price you mentioned the blued.84BCDA09-5959-43D8-8D51-8A24185A586D.png

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Blued is pretty, and depending on climate holds up ok. However, my vote would be for stainless. I think a stainless M70 Featherweight would be the best of both, but from what I have found you would pay more for it and it is not on your list.

The Winchester is a gun that appeals more to me as a gift as the Tikka feels soulless. In reality though, if I could only pick between a blued rifle or a Tikka, I would take the Tikka. The functionality of stainless, and my inability to afford multiple rifles, has resulted in my blued guns being sold now that I live in Alaska. In Texas, the blued was never a problem.

I don't have any experience with the Bergera, but I do have a couple T3 lites in stainless, and the pre-64 model 70 is my all time favorite rifle. The T3 only comes in a LA, if that makes a difference to you, and I agree with Marbles in that the Tikka just feels kind of soulless (I could take it or leave it and it's a rifle that I'll never become attached to). That isn't to say that Tikka's don't shoot well or they're bad rifles, because they are quite the opposite, just not something that I cherish or would hand down to someone. So, all that said, if you're looking to go wood/blued, with a truly classic look and feel, the M70 would be my choice, hands down. If your budget allows for a pre-64, all the better IMO.

16Bore

WKR
As much as I love Tikkas, a gift M70 makes the “heirloom” list for me.

My graduation present from high school was a Colt 1911. Classy. The place my dad bought it from said they’d let me trade it for a Glock if I wanted too. Now this was quite awhile ago and “Glock” was something really new. Wasn’t a chance I’d make that trade then or now.

But if I were shopping for a pistol, a Glock would beat another 1911 by a mile.

I am hard on my equipment, including my rifles. I hunt, in all kinds of weather, so my choice is stainless and composite stocks, because they can take the abuse I dishout.

Gen273

WKR
I say go with the Winchester, that sounds like a really good buy. Of course, I admit that I do not like a Tikka, but I am in the minority on this sight in that regard.

I have a tikka that I love and only own a couple wood rifles anymore, but as a graduation gift I think the model 70 is best the best choice. He’s only 18 and hopefully he will have the opportunity to own many rifles in his future, but that one, he will always look at and remember you.

The Winchester featherweight is what I too would get him.
Classic Sporter
1592593949312.png

Featherweight
1592593989675.png

Extreme Weather SS
1592594042608.png

Featherweight stainless
1592594092585.png

Featherweight stainless dark Maple
1592594156487.png

Supergrade Stainless.
1592594332698.png

Hey you can get the Supergrade in 280 Remington!!! There you go.

Supergrade
1592594466373.png

As mentioned the Tikka is only a Long Action so personally unless you reload and have a long throat it doesn’t make any sense to get a Short action cartridge. If you go tikka can’t beat the the 30-06, though I prefer a 270.

I personally hate surprises and with gear want exactly what I want. I would take the time and go shopping with him and see what he likes? I know my kids have different tastes than I do!

OP
L

LaGriz

WKR
Thank you all for the feedback,

I'm most likely going to go with the M-70. I don't have the means to get him a pre-64 featherweight but I am leaving him my prize 1955 .358 Win featherweight in my will. In the mean time I want to get him a utility rifle in a common chambering. He has indicated he likes the .308 after shooting one belonging to a friend. I don't want him to worry about hunting with an heirloom. I agree with the comments that the Winchester may be a classy gift, and I did not know the Tikka came in only in a long action. The indicated sale price on the Winchester is only for the weapon in stock. I must say the M-70 FW in stainless and dark maple is a stunner! I have another pre-64 (1948 classic) in .338-06 that won't work for an all around rifle as the ammo is both expensive and not easy to locate. Although good elk medicine, its a little too much gun for our whitetail deer IMHO. The Boy shot my MT rifle in .280 Rem. well., but reported that the recoil+ muzzle jump was considerable. He has not yet fired the .338-06. That one will be left to my Brother, not that he needs another rifle.

My local gun store owner responded that I would not be disappointed with the Tikka and was pushing towards the 6.5 Creedmoor. My bucket list includes taking my Grandson on an elk hunt at some point. I'm thinking the .308 would be a good choice for availability, economy, and versatility. I don't doubt that the 6.5 or 7mm-08 would be capable, but I witnessed the performance of .308 on a cow in 2017. She got dead real quick. Thanks once again.
LaGriz

OP
L

LaGriz

WKR
Update,

Graduation has come and gone. After receiving his diploma in an outdoor setting we all went out for a late breakfast. Gifts were exchanged and I led him outside. Opened up the hatch back of the Ford Escape a showed him the Winchester. He was stunned and unless he is a better actor than I thought, totally surprised. The mounts and rings were in place, but there was a last minute problem with the scope.

The Minox ZA-3 is a 2X10X40. I learned that the whole rear of the scope was turning when I zoomed in or out with the magnification adjustment. My gunsmith said suspected a problem with the "erector" internal assembly. The scope is in the the hands of the Blaser group, and has been sipped to Germany for repairs. The boy has not sot the rifle to date. Have considered pulling a 2X7 VX-1 off of another rifle just so he can gat a few rounds out of it.

I will let you know how the customer service with Minox turns out. Item was purchased in 2010 and the warranty card was filled out. I'm expecting good service and don't see a problem other than the required time to ship it back and forth.

LaGriz

OP
L

LaGriz

WKR
Report from the range,

9/9/20 My gunsmith mounted a VX-3 2,5X8X36 Leopold scope and got him bore sighted. The guys at the shop complemented Champ on the choice of rifle and the combination with the lightly used Leopold (with the BC reticle) that I found on Rokslide. Happy Birthday Champ! I must agree that the 12 oz. scope looks like it belongs on this M-70 featherweight.

We traveled to a public range and started the process. Only had a single box of 165 gr. Sierra ammo. I set up a target at 25 yards and we fired 5 rounds, cleaning the barrel between each shot. Moved our target to 100 yards (the limit of this range) and continued making the needed adjustments. At this stage, we cleaned the barrel every third shot. My grandson got familiar with the mechanical process of: removing the bolt, inserting the bore-guide, loading the patches, and inverting it only to repeat. He quickly caught on to the "range etiquette" and safety procedures. The barrel got hot (it was in the 90's) and I failed to bring anything to drink. I was not overly impressed with the last group. On the way back home he wanted to know when we could shoot again and see how some other ammo would perform.

Saturday 9/12 Champ's birthday,
We traveled to our local Sheriff's range. The boy's Grandmother selected a Butler Creek sling for him and also picked up two boxes of ammo at Walmart. One of the benefits of owning a .308! Ammo: Federal (blue box) 180 gr. SP ($17) and Winchester 150 gr. Deer Season ammo at $21 per box. This complemented the box of Federal premium 165 gr. AB ammo ($36) that got left behind on the first trip.

He shot a decent 3-shot group with 180's impacting about 9 o'clock. Made a slight adjustment, and then shot a slightly tighter group impacting at the 12-O'clock location.
Without any changes he fired a tight (just under 1") 3-shot group all hitting the bulls eye with the AccuBond 165 ammo. The rifle really likes the load. Crazy as it seems, the 150 Winchester, and the 180 Federal all all do quite well with the same zero at 100 yards? I had him tweak the scope to center the impact about 1.5" high at 100.

The 165 AB is superior in this rifle (I know AB will kill well too) and will most likely be his 1st choice hunting load. However, I would not have a problem with the 150 gr. Win Deer Season. (right at 1"+) Has anyone had history or success on game with these bullets? Even the blue box 180 gr. SP grouped inside 1.5".
I find it rare that 3 different bullet types/weights perform so well with the same zero.

I may schedule a trip to a private range about 2 hours west of here if Hurricane Laura didn't shut them down.
They have targets at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards. I'm sure that at these distances we will see some separation on the accuracy of these loads.

Still waiting on the repair of the Minox scope that got shipped in mid July. I got an up date a week ago. The scope is in Germany and they will keep me informed on the progress of the repair. Due to Covid-19 and the logistics, I'm thinking this will take some time. More info to come on this customer service.

LaGriz