Opinion needed : Choosing a rifle for my grandson

OP
L

LaGriz

WKR
Update,
Was just informed by the folks at Minox that my scope is unrepairable.. They have offered me a replacement with a ZX-5 2X10X50 BDC model. I'm probably going to take it. The 22 once scope has a 30mm tube and a 50mm objective lens. I liked the 1" tube and 40mm objective on the previous scope for the lighter weight and the ability to mount it lower. Additionally, the 50mm bell may prevent the use of my rifle scabbard. I have learned they make a 2X10X45 model that might be a better fit. I don't want to complain too much or they they may withdraw the present offer. Anyone have any experience with this scope? More on this to come.

I got impatient waiting on the Minox scope situation and installed a Kahles 3X9X42 scope. I pulled this from my Kimber Montana in .325 WSM. Had I know the situation would be resolved I might not have done so. The Kimber was dialed in with a 220 grain power point load and routinely printed tight groups. I made an appointment with a private range 1.5 hours west of home to get it sighted in. My grand son Christian came along to shoot his Winchester at some longer distances.

We made a trip to a private range in Lake Arthur, Louisiana. They had a great deal of tree damage from the two hurricanes (Laura & Delta) that plagued the area, I managed to omit any ammo for my 338-06 in my preparations witch I regret. This limited my shooting to only the .280 Remington. The Grandsons Model 70 was his only rifle. Both guns got hot after a few rounds and it effected our shooting. The boy's .308 did fine as he shot it at 200 yards with decent results. The only load was the deer season 150 grain. Finding .308 ammo is still difficult. The Federal Premium 165 AB load has not been available. I understand that Nosler and Federal have settled there differences and the AccuBond loads will continued to be carried in the Federal Premium line. Everyone is still waiting on a shipment.. Will update the results of both rifles once we get a chance to shoot again.

LaGriz

Last edited:
OP
L

LaGriz

WKR
Update of the Minox Scope replacement situation,
They are going to send me a ZX-5 2X10X45 with a #4 reticle. A BDC reticle is not offered in this model.
I agreed that this scope would fill my needs. They should be shipping it soon.

LaGriz

OP
L

LaGriz

WKR
Update on the Scope situation,

Received an E-mail from Blaser today saying my replacement scope came in from Germany.
They will be shipping it to me later today. Looks like this is all coming to and end at last!

LaGriz

EmperorMA

WKR
However, I would not have a problem with the 150 gr. Win Deer Season. (right at 1"+) Has anyone had history or success on game with these bullets?
I haven't used the 150gr in .308 Win but I have three deer down with the Winchester Deer Season XP 125gr 6.5 Creedmoor. The Winchester Deer Season XP 125 has been extremely impressive on three deer all DRT and all complete pass-through.

First was a large Muley buck quartering toward me at 150 yards with a slight upward angle. The high shoulder shot sprayed lead and bone fragments into the spine for a dramatic bang/flop. A large, tennis ball size exit on that one, due to the broken shoulder bones at entry.

Second was a whitetail doe feeding in a alfalfa field at 220 yards. Clean broadside shot slipped in the crease just behind the shoulders left a golf ball size exit. She reared up, landed, tried to take a step but fell over. It broke an off-side rib on the way out.

Third was a whitetail buck working his way through a brushy creek bottom at 125 yards. As luck would have it, he stopped to check the wind in the only small opening I had and presented a quartering away shot, which was promptly placed behind the near shoulder, angled slightly forward. It broke the off-side scapula and left a golf ball size exit. Bang/flop.

This ammo shoots so well in my Winchester 6.5 Creedmoor (0.7” @ 100 yards) and works so well on deer that I’m not even going to bother developing a deer load for it. Great performance from the Winchester Deer Season XP!

Last edited:
OP
L

LaGriz

WKR
UPS just came by,
I received the replacement Minox scope from Blaser. It is a ZX5 2-10X45 #4 scope.
Its of course brand new and has a 30 MM tube and the #4 reticle. I'm seeing quality all around and find this scope to be more than equal to my original 2X10X40 with a 1" tube. Its longer however, at 335mm and heavier at 21.6 oz. Not a deal breaker, but not ideal either on a light weight Mt. Rifle. T

It did take 5 months to get it done.

To anyone interested in the Minox customer service and warranty, I have to say ultimately I'm satisfied. It took a good while. Was warned that "we are in a pandemic" that effected response time on both sides of the Atlantic. Considering I bought the original scope in 2010 and used it for years before it eventually failed, I think they (Blaser/Minox) did me right. The Blaser group in San Antonio, TX were pretty reasonable to deal with. I had to push them a few times for updates. They in turn had to inquire each time at the manufacture facility in Germany. I don't know how restricted the employees were in that country. Same is true for the customs department here in the US. Much of the delay may have been unavoidable. This being said, the Customer Service group here in the states may have been very limited as to what they could do.

LaGriz