Opinion of 10x42 or 12x50 Binos

Sterling

FNG
I will be backpack hunting mainly. Just looking for person opinions. Western hunting mainly

3 questions need answered before you get any kind of decent opinion....

1- What quality of optics are we talking here?

2- Are you carrying a spotting scope as well and if so, which one?

3- Are you planning on using them on a tripod?

OP
S

Sterling

FNG
3 questions need answered before you get any kind of decent opinion....

1- What quality of optics are we talking here?

2- Are you carrying a spotting scope as well and if so, which one?

3- Are you planning on using them on a tripod?
i got some money to spend on gear this season Swaro binos i think and save spotter for next year because i need a quilt and shelter as well and i want to stay within budget but i do not like to buy things i know i am going to want to replace in the future.

tripod is defiantly an option

if i got a spotter this year it would not be Swaro. thinking compact vortex one but feel like the 12x binos could surface for now. at the same time i want to buy good binos that i will use and not just buy ones and think dam i should have gotten a different power. being in ca it is not like i will be trophy hunting and i could always barrow a spotter if i think i need one.

coues32

WKR
12x swaro and kowa 600 series is a great combo.
sold my el 10x42,
8x32 and 15hd only get use if wife or kids go. I run el 12s even archery hunting ,have a outdoorsmans stud put in.

Ac338

WKR
I just went through this and decided to go with Swaro Slc 10x42 and a Kowa 65mm for all of my western needs since I can't afford every size in the quality glass department.

Buy an open box Meopta S2 20-70x82 or Kowa 773 on sale with a tripod from Cameraland for 2k ish shipped with both of their sales right now. Then buy a pair of Used 10x42 Swaro SLC HD off the classifieds here for around $1300-$1350 and you’ll have everything you need. Don’t go with a Vortex Spotter.

DavePwns

WKR
I use 10x42 for elk since I'll be hand glassing in the timber more often
12x50 for mule deer since most of my glassing is on a tripod

tdot

WKR
12x50 EL are my favourite bino. I can handhold them the same as a 10x, but the 12x is noticeably superior on a tripod. If you are still hunting all day or in tight timber, then a set of 8x32 are a great match, they handhold far superior to either 10x or 12x, generally lighter and smaller as well. The lower power of the 8x means that you can get very good optics at a much lower price point vs. the 12x class optics.

If you dont know for sure that you need a spotter, dont get one yet. Hunt with the 12x for a season and see how they work for you. Add what you need as you need it.

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
I love my 12x50 binos. I can mount them on a tripod and glass a ways out, while still being able to freehand at short distances.

COwineguy

Lil-Rokslider
I love my 12X50 Els for western hunting. I primarily rifle hunt so I try to find places to glass from a tripod. I also have a pair of 8X50 Ultravids that I use for hunting in the midwest. I hated my 12s in a tree stand. If I was primarily archery elk hunting I would probably go 8s for the timber if anything.

El Coyote

FNG
I have a pair of swaro 12x50s.
Occasionally I'll glass something really close and be annoyed at how shaky they are. Glassing things at medium range to far off with just my hands is no problem.

BUT once you put them on a good tripod they are AMAZING. I've only had them for one year and so far like them and glad I got these over 10x42 option that I compared with.

In thick timber I'd go with 10x42 or 8x. For whitetail I'd only use 8x and honestly my range finder was probably all I ever needed with my bow.

Oh and a disclaimer, I'm new to western hunting and didn't have enough for a spotting scope so this was my way of getting the best of two worlds so take my advice with a grain of salt

Tbuckus

WKR
Short answer 10x42’s
Long answer
The 10s are a great all around magnification. A big jump over 8x For glassing across a canyon but the 12s only offer a little better mag for me. The 10s are easy to glass with without a tripod and great with one. The 12s for me were hard to glass with off hand.
we messed around with 10-15x with some friends yesterday. I was set on buying some 12x but after looking we agreed the 10x with a 15x or spotter would work best for where we hunt.

for anybody with 10x42 el,i got the swaro doubler which is very lightweight as a solid option ,however they do give it up around dusk,don't expect great light gathering then but during the day,very convenient

for anybody with 10x42 el,i got the swaro doubler which is very lightweight as a solid option ,however they do give it up around dusk,don't expect great light gathering then but during the day,very convenient
Where can you find a doubler? That looks like an interesting addition.