Opinion of Weatherby Rifles

fatbacks

WKR
I personally don't own a weatherby, but I was helping a buddy with his rifle before our moose hunt this year with his. He showed up to the range with his 300 WM Weatherby Vanguard Weathermark and pulled out of the case from which he had left it in after last years moose hunt. Rusted and corroded everywhere and I assume inside the barrel is not much better. Start talking to him about gun care yada yada yada... might as well shoot it while we're here. Pulls out a box of Precision Hunter 200 gr ELD X.... .75" group at 100 yds. Proceed to tell him to wait and clean the bore until after our moose hunt hahah!

FLAK

WKR
The MKV I speak of did it from day one with the original stock. I free floated the new stock because it was still stair stepping after installation.
I like my Rems cause I don't have to perform any voo doo rituals to get them to shoot straight.

Michael54

WKR
I have a stainless vanguard deluxe in 7mm rem mag and its a tack driver with factory ammo.

Have both a 1960s vintage W. German made Weatherby Mark V and a newer Vangaurd. Both are chambered in 300WEA and both shoot SUB-MOA. Took the Vanguard to Alaska in 2016 and took a 9ft Brownie with one shot from a 180gr TTSX. Agree with the trigger comments on the Vanguard and will be replacing it with either Timney or Triggertech.

Bsnyder

WKR
I have a back country In 6.5-300 wby and it shoots under 3/4 although I’m not a fan of the trigger it’s like and shoot good I also have a mark 5 and it’s a half moa gun and the trigger is better but heavy I like both both have their place in the line up but there is nothing wrong with the vanguards for the price

JoeDirt

WKR
The Mark V's are the best designed rifle receiver, a magnum Mark V is a tank. 9 recoil lugs, silky smooth and a bolt safety.

I have dabbled with Mark V's thinking about building a custom using that receiver.

Used Weatherby's can be a good buy if you have sticker shock!

I will never understand why the Remington 700 became so popular.

Trr15

WKR
I have a wood stocked vanguard in .338 win mag that I purchased around 15 yrs ago. The trigger sucked and I replaced it with a Timney, but it’s very accurate and I’ve killed several elk with it over the years. If I remember correctly, the older vanguards (and perhaps the new ones too) are basically Howa rifles with a weatherby label.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Olyhunter

FNG
Haven’t owned a Christiansen Mesa but had a Ridgline. It was a shooter, couldn’t have been any better for a shooter with my skills. However, I could not get over the bolt throw, had to mount the scope too high for my liking. Picked up my second Weatherby, a Mark 5 Ultralight, able to mount the scope nice n low. So far it shoots, and buttery smooth action. Think it’s going to fit the bill😁

khuber84

WKR
I see ag composites is making stocks for Wby oem rifles, I've always liked the action. I think a 6 lug opened up for wsm or saum cases would be badass with a carbon barrel. I'll have to start looking for a cheap donor I guess!

bill_eb

FNG
Have a Vanguard 2 in 300WM - Shoots very accurate. Magazine length is limited on the heavier bullets with the longer ogive, Limits what length you can reload to. Only drawback I have experienced.

Brendan

WKR
Figured I'd bump this thread for those that participated earlier - Anyone have any input on the Weatherby Vanguard compared to a Tikka T3x? Take cost out of it for a second, but they're a brand I know very little about. Which would you rather have assuming the same price?

Calibers in play are 6.5 CM, .308 at this point. Potentially 30-06, 300 WM, but those are less likely.

This came up in another thread too, but figured it wouldn't hurt to bump this one...

Last edited:
They are very nice rifles, Some of the vanguards have features that usually go on the MKV rifles (B&C stocks, fluted barrels etc). MKV rifles are the high end ones from the company and range from dangerous game rifles to heavy long range rigs to light mountain rifles. Vanguards are made in Japan by Howa and are an excellent value but sort of heavy, they are very accurate though.

IVe always looked at Weatherby 2 ways, Firstly, I wouldn't buy a MKV unless it was in a Weatherby caliber, I just think there are better options for example if you want a 308 or a 270, but if you want a 300wby or something, a MKV is the only way to fly. Vanguards are great rifles for the value and also a good affordable way to get into the Weatherby calibers without spending 1600 dollars.

A MKV ultra lightweight in 300wby is totally badass.

The non-magnum 6 lug Mark V action is underrated.

I have noticed a pattern of inaccuracy with Weatherby rifles. That being said, I keep buying them. Someday I may learn from my experiences. I keep hoping that someday I’ll just figure them out.

I have noticed a pattern of inaccuracy with Weatherby rifles. That being said, I keep buying them. Someday I may learn from my experiences. I keep hoping that someday I’ll just figure them out.

I think the freebore makes them inherently “finicky”. I’ve always been able to make them shoot but it takes a bit of loading work.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve owned a .223 varmint gun, a used bargain bin 300 win mag, and a .270 win handed down that my dad bought in the early 70’s. All vanguards and all were awesome tack drivers. They also all had their triggers swapped with timney. The 300 I swapped out the stock with a game scout and Wyatt dbm. That gun shot amazing groups and I sold it to build a fully custom Pdog gun. Still kinda regret it.

bill_eb

FNG
I own both the Tikka T3x lite in 25-06 and the Weatherby Vanguard. If you plan on reloading - I would recommend you avoid the Vanguard due to the restrictions on the magazine length. If you shoot factory ammo. you should be OK. Both are very accurate. You now have many more options for aftermarket accessories for the Tikka due to its popularity. You can get stocks and triggers for Tikka if you want to customize.

SoDaky

WKR
After owning 100s(yes 100s)of rifles over the years,my biggest regret is letting a guy bribe me out of my German made 300 WM.

Bill M

FNG
i have 6 vanguards and they all shoot good but i reload so i can find what they like.But the last one i bought new on line. It has issues with the finish and the bolt does not open and close smoothly.You have to hold the bolt up to get it to work or it hangs up. I sent it back to weatherby at my cost and basically they told me that as long as it opens and closes it works as it should.I would advise not to buy one if you cant touch it first.I have a lot more to this story you are welcome to text or call 615 542-5338