Opinion of Weatherby Rifles

Skippy00

FNG
I had a Mark V 300 for a few years and sold it because of 2 reasons.

1. Almost impossible to find factory ammo and reloading brass for it, which were way overpriced compared to 300 win mag

2. The trigger sucked

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I have three Weatherby Rifles.

1. A Mark V Ultra Lightweight chambered in .30-06 Springfield. It is indeed very light (under 6 lbs without a scope). It was factory certified to shoot sub-MOA, and indeed it does. My online complaint is that the LOP is a bit short for me, but that is not really the rifle's fault. I am just tall. It is 13 5/8" from the factory.

2. A vintage Mark V (made in 1985) that would be the Deluxe today. It is chambered in 7mm Weatherby Magnum. With my hand loads using Nosler 160 gr Accubonds, it consistently shoots .5 MOA. I bought this gun used in excellent condition for $1000. It had a 13 3/8" factory LOP which was way too short. I added two spacers and a new buttpad to bring it out to 14", and it is now excellent. Silky smooth action. Photo of stock and spacers attached.

3. A Vanguard First Lite chambered in 6.5CM. I bought this at a DU auction. Put a decent scope on it, and it shoots less than .75 MOA. I don't have much use for the cartridge in general, but the rifle is a very nice package for the money. It is a rebranded Howa, and it even says so right on the barrel. I would not hesitate to recommend this model to someone looking for a budget-friendly rifle, but perhaps in a difference chambering.

Attachments

• Mkv7mm Stock.jpg
    Mkv7mm Stock.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 17

FLATHEAD

WKR
I have a MkV in 7mmWBY, very smooth action, great trigger.
Never gets used as it consistently stair steps high left - BADLY.
Will never buy another. All my 700's out shoot it.

I just purchase this Vanguard SS 270 Win from a LGS last week. This was out in the used rack. I really don't need another deer rifle but couldn't leave without it. According to the serial number it was produced 2005-2010 in the first of Sub MOA that Weatherby marketed in the Vanguard line. Really like the fit and feel of the Bell & Carlson pillar bedded stock. Haven't scoped and shot it yet but hoping for good accuracy. In the $500 price range for centerfire rifles I would much rather have this used Vanguard than any new rifles I see in that range today.
thumbnail_IMG_3670.jpgthumbnail_IMG_3672.jpgthumbnail_IMG_3673 (1).jpg

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
I am curious to know what the general consensus is on Weatherby rifles. Since there are two lines, Vanguard and Mark V, what do you think of each line in terms of quality, features, performance, especially verses their main competitors (whoever that is....different for each line I would think).

Thanks!
I was very good friends with a guy and his dad in my hometown, and they bought NOTHING but Weatherby rifles, they had just about all of the calibers covered at the time. I remember shooting a few and would like to
have one at some point. I think a .270 or 7MM both in Weatherby would fill my needs just fine.