Opinions and questions

Deadfall

WKR
Hey yall.
Been wondering why theres not a spot on here for discussing wolf hunting?

With all the uproar about the damage wolves are doing to our ungalate populations, why more folks aren't hunting wolves as intensely as elk and deer?

It's my opinion that if all the sportsman who hunt out west took after wolves with as much enthusiasm as is shown on yourube for deer and elk that we would have zero wolf problem.

Also believe we cant count on government to manage anything. They cant manage themselves. The folks who could and try to work us I believe are handicapped by bureaucracy.

I'm curious to know what the gap is between number of wolves and number of resident hunters per western state.

Also my opinion that it is out responsibility to manage our resources.

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Dead,
We hunt Montana and the ranchers we know and come in contact with say when and if you see wolf shoot it and leave it lay they don't want them and hope anybody coming across one shoots it.
The people in state buildings really don't have or could care less about you and what you'd like for that matter.

I've posted along these lines. All of the resident hunters I know do their part to try to keep wolf and bear numbers at reasonable levels. Most nonresidents I know are focused on deer and elk. They're just taking basically and not supporting the wildlife population more generally. Pretty lame. And resident hunters are pretty open to helping guys get in places with high predator numbers.

Well, in my state were not allowed to hunt wolves, its ridiculous. But we are allowed to hunt bears, lions and coyotes and most people wont put in a squirt of effort to do even that much. Most people who buy bear and lion tags do so just incase they stumble into one during deer and elk season. Theyll bitch and moan all day about our declining deer and elk numbers and our overabundance of predators, yet put in zero effort to do their part. Anybody who complains about it damn well better get off their ass and at least put a solid effort in to take out some predators

Lawnboi

WKR
I wish I could hunt wolves in my home or neighboring states. I’d be out now. I can’t drive halfway across the country, in the winter, to hunt something that is as hard to hunt as a wolf. I have limited time off, and limited money, just can’t do it.

I’d be all for going to Idaho, Montana or Wyoming via plane or driving, to hunt with a hunting buddy where all I had to do is get myself out there, I’d offer the same if we could shoot wolves here, but we can’t. I just don’t have the equipment or knowledge I know I need to drive out to western Idaho in January and hope to connect.

In fact this is the first year I plan on heading west primarily for predator hunting, but I’m only going to SD/eastern WY or MT, any more driving than that and it becomes too much for me.

At least you guys out west can shoot them. Numbers are bordering on ridiculous here in WI, right in my back yard. I cut a fresh wolf track almost every time I’m out skiing, been stalked by packs hunting turkeys, not at all uncommon to see some.

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
Personally I enjoy hunting wolves more then anything else. Has become a test like no other. Wish it would catch fire and more would get into it. Hunting wolves in dead of winter when conditions are at their worst is a test of mental fortitude you just wont get anywhere else. On ye ol youtube and podcasts I hear people talking alot about fortitude and mental toughness. For me personally I've not found anything as challenging as hunting wolves in jan and feb.

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
As for our fish and game/forest service types. I know plenty who do care, but have tied hands. Some of that tying is by those who dont care, I believe most of it is just the same government bureaucracy we see all throughout government.

I also believe the officials who boots are the ground feel the same as us.

The trappers go to great length too get wolves collared. So if you do make it out, take care not too shoot the collared ones. Those are part of what helps give our officials ammunition to help fight the city folk in far away places

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
I also believe that we could cut numbers down by more then half and not one hippy in the world be any wiser, since they aren't out anyway. There would still be wolves, we would also have ungulates.

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
The following is some rhetorical wondering.

What if folks added 2 days too a fall elk hunt, chased wolves for 2 days. Say theres 5000 hunters each fall. Say 10 percent take a wolf. That's 500 wolves. That's a decent harvest. Of course my numbers are theoretical and conjured from nowhere. Just an example.

I'm just speaking for here in montana.

After an elk hunt a person has a pretty good idea if wolves are around or not. Plus it would give a guy some extra research and planning and practicing to do during winter and spring too help fight of the hunting itch.

In montana you can use a rifle starting in September. Maybe look for the perfect round. Then practicing, loading, plotting....

Just trying to do a bit of seed planting. Plus I'm bored today....haha...

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
Mama just added a 38-55 to my arsenal. Gonna be fun getting that set up and doing some oldschool wolf huntin over the next couple months.....cant wait too see how far I can reach with that thing.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have anything against guys who hunt predators, but I don't have any desire to make a special trip to hunt something I won't eat.

I have a wolf tag for my elk hunt next year, and would be happy to shoot one, but only if it wouldn't screw up my primary hunt. I take the same approach with coyotes in Iowa.

Some of us try. It requires tons and tons of time and resources to be successful in the manner that's legal. Wolves are very difficult to hunt. They can cover insane distances in a day, and often have huge territory. There's a reason trapping, baiting and poisoning were used in the old days to manage these animals.

In short, the number of people who have the time and resources to be dedicated enough to really make an impact on wolf numbers by hunting are few and far between.

A few guys are really getting it dialed in. Check out Luke Sterling, (Sterling Extreme Outdoors) on YouTube. But reality is that few people have the kind of time off/schedule/freedom to put in the time required for this type of success.

I agree with you though I wish more of us would put in the time. Or maybe the wildlife agencies will let us use more effective tools someday. Although take a look at Alaska. Even shooting from a plane, unlimited trapping, ect cannot keep up with the problem.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
Hey yall.
Been wondering why theres not a spot on here for discussing wolf hunting?

There is in the Predators section. However, I do wish it was so popular that it deserved it's own dedicate section.

I always buy a wolf tag and have it ready during regular season and go out a few times in December, January and February. However, it's a very low odds deal. Even seeing a track is very rare, at least for me.

I know it exists, but I'd love to have a "best practices" list for wolves just to up my odds a little bit. They move so far, so fast and are so smart. Love the challenge and hope to connect, then re-connect many more times!

Also hope outfitters get in on the game and have a high enough success rate that they can make a buck.

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
There is in the Predators section. However, I do wish it was so popular that it deserved it's own dedicate section.

I always buy a wolf tag and have it ready during regular season and go out a few times in December, January and February. However, it's a very low odds deal. Even seeing a track is very rare, at least for me.

I know it exists, but I'd love to have a "best practices" list for wolves just to up my odds a little bit. They move so far, so fast and are so smart. Love the challenge and hope to connect, then re-connect many more times!

Also hope outfitters get in on the game and have a high enough success rate that they can make a buck.
Quick tip. If you are gonna be in a area for several days. Just howl 3 or 4 times and go about your business. If wolves are around they will start showing in area you howled within a few days. When that happens hit some distressed pup noices and they usually come. They dont like new animals moving into their turf. They can hear from miles away. If you hunt a place and see any sign at all old or not. Tr

They dont like new wolves moving into their area. They can hear from several miles away. Howl 3 or 4 times and go about your business. In a matter of days if any are within several miles they will start showing up few days later. Then a distressed pup noise will bring em on a shot. In between you've probably already harvested whatever you were after

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
Quick tip. If you are gonna be in a area for several days. Just howl 3 or 4 times and go about your business. If wolves are around they will start showing in area you howled within a few days. When that happens hit some distressed pup noices and they usually come. They dont like new animals moving into their turf. They can hear from miles away. If you hunt a place and see any sign at all old or not. Tr

They dont like new wolves moving into their area. They can hear from several miles away. Howl 3 or 4 times and go about your business. In a matter of days if any are within several miles they will start showing up few days later. Then a distressed pup noise will bring em on a shot. In between you've probably already harvested whatever you were after
Rocky mountain makes a decent howler that isnt terrible expensive

Every time I go elk hunting I buy a wolf tag & my hunt partner does too. Would love to have an opportunity to shoot one & would if the shot presented itself. Only seen one in 2 seasons of hunting though & it was over a mile away. We high tailed it but it was long gone. If I had the time & $$ to make the 3,500 mile round trip just to wolf hunt I definitely would but life doesn't allow.
I have wondered why there isn't a bounty put on them either by state or private groups. Maybe there are some under the radar?

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
The Feds killed them all off once by carpet bombing the West with strychnine. If there were wide interest among the gen pop to repeat that result, it would happen. Hunting them isn’t going to make a dent biologically speaking, but more power to y’all.