Opinions on a new whitetail spotter - 500$

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
I have a vortex diamondback (20-40x60) i sold to a friend and am looking for something that may have a little better low light edge if not an uptick. Used primary off a tripod for range verification or from the truck window on whitetails here in the NE and some does glassing in the Midwest. Not much on birding and haven’t got to the good hunting out west yet (so weight isn’t huge factor). Won’t get used a ton- running some sig zulu7 binos I adore, but 10x can’t do it all.

Any suggestions? I’m wide open to used and refurbished too- doesn’t have to be new. Ideally 500 or under.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j_volt

WKR
I like my Athlon Ares 15-45x65. I paid $469 shipped for it new. I haven’t done an in depth comparison of it versus others, but I have no complaints.

Wapiti1

WKR
I woudl suggest you bump up to an 80mm scope in the lower prices scopes for the best result. Something like the Vanguard Endeavor HD 82mm, or Sightron HD 85mm. Alpen used to make an 80mm that was remarkable for $400.

Jeremy

OP
G

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I was thinking more 80-100 I just wasn’t sure what may be an “improvement” for quality over the Vortex I had.

OP
G

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
Both the ares and endevour seem to be angled only- I do know I am after a straight body as I use it from the truck window

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Athlon Optics Ares 15-45x65 UHD - Straight Angle Spotting Scope
Aprochromatic Lens SystemApochromatic lense system gives you the result of images which have greater contrast, sharpness and color definition
UHD Glass Extra-low dispersion glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings an ultimate clearest and sharpest image to your eyes
Interchangeable EyepieceInterchangeable Eyepiece allows you to swap the standard variable power eyepiece with a fixed 24 power eyepiece with a MIL ranging reticle in it.
ESP Dielectric CoatingESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
Aluminum Alloy ChassisAluminum alloy chassis offers you the strength of a metal chassis and the life time durability.
XPL CoatingXPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
Bak4 PrismBak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes thus will give you brighter and sharper image.
Advanced Fully Multi-CoatedAdvanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses bring you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
Argon PurgedArgon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .
WaterproofWaterproof to protect the spotting scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
Rotating RingRotating Ring allows you to rotate the scope around tripod supporting ring into the most comfortable and convenient angle for observation
Magnification15-45
Objective Lens Diameter65 mm
Prism GlassBak 4
ESP Dielectric CoatingYes
XPL CoatingYes
ED GlassYes
Lense CoatingAdvanced Fully Multi-Coated
Field of View171-81 ft
Exit Pupil 4.3-1.4 mm
Eye Relief0.75-0.63"
Close Focus13.1′
Dimension (LxW)11.9"x3.0"
Weight50 oz

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
The athlon Ares is a big step up from the Diamondback. At least it was 4 years ago when I compared the two.