Opinions on a rifle scope.

Greg Beck

WKR
I just purchased a Tikka T3 Lite in a.270. Now I need a scope. Wanting to extend my range to around 500-700 yards. Mostly hunt mule deer. Occasionally elk. And predators. Probably do some recreational target shooting. Looking at SWFA scopes.

Should I buy the 10 or 12 x 42? Good price and reviews say a lot of good. Or spend a little more on the 3-15 x 42? Will I like the fixed power? Do I need the magnification range of 3-15?

I don't have the budget to spend much over $500ish. Even at that I'll have to wait a bit to gather the cash. The fixed power I could swing now.
I'd like to hear some pros and cons of the SWFA fixed power scopes.
Or any other scope suggestions in that price?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A fixed 10 or 12 would be pretty tough to hunt with imo. I killed a buck last year at 30-40 yards. That is tough with a scope on 10 or 12 power. I would look for a variable power scope, or a lower fixed power like a 6x.

Regards, Branden

OP
Greg Beck

Greg Beck

WKR
I found a Leupold 3.5x10x50 with a Boone and Crocket reticle for $300. Also a similar Leupold with CDS with an Moa turret for $500. Both are in excellent shape and come with lens caps. Would something like either of those fit the bill?

I have pretty much the same rifle and asked for some opinions on here as well. I havent bought one yet because i dont need it for this fall but i got a lot of guys recommending I look at Leupold VX-3i scopes. Maybe check some of those options out.

The Sightron S-Tac 4-20 with the MOA2 reticle is my favorite sub $500 scope. It has capped target turrets that dial repeatably and the glass is surprisingly good for the price point. It's a great scope for the money.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I just purchased a Tikka T3 Lite in a.270. Now I need a scope. Wanting to extend my range to around 500-700 yards. Mostly hunt mule deer. Occasionally elk. And predators. Probably do some recreational target shooting. Looking at SWFA scopes.

Should I buy the 10 or 12 x 42? Good price and reviews say a lot of good. Or spend a little more on the 3-15 x 42? Will I like the fixed power? Do I need the magnification range of 3-15?

I don't have the budget to spend much over $500ish. Even at that I'll have to wait a bit to gather the cash. The fixed power I could swing now.
I'd like to hear some pros and cons of the SWFA fixed power scopes.
Or any other scope suggestions in that price?
Thanks

The only scopes in the $500 range that is reliable and durable, and will dial repeatably is SWFA SS. The 6x SS with Mil-Quad reticle is fine at both close range and 600 yards. The 3-9x42mm SWFA is fantastic, and you can find them used for under $500.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You want either a low fixed power or variable power scope for most hunting, I would not want a 10x, etc.

Not sure how it has lived up to reviews but the vortex razor hd lh 3-15x42 has been popping up on camofire for $575 lately.

OP
Greg Beck

Greg Beck

WKR
The only scopes in the $500 range that is reliable and durable, and will dial repeatably is SWFA SS. The 6x SS with Mil-Quad reticle is fine at both close range and 600 yards. The 3-9x42mm SWFA is fantastic, and you can find them used for under $500.

Thanks for the input! I'll be checking for 3-9x42 new or used.