Opinions on a spotting scope for Mtn Goat?

tdhanses

WKR
That Kowa 553 on an Aoka tripod is money, it is perfect for binos and a small spotter. I never used the head that came with it but upgraded it to an RRS head.

My other setup is a Kowa 773, Slik 624 and Outdoorsmans head, it’s a great setup but way more heavy and bulky.

Something about the Kowa and Aoka setup I haven’t seen stated that is another positive is it takes up half the room or a bigger spotter and tripod.

Also S&S archery, site sponsor, has a 10% discount using code Rokslide which works on sale items as well.

tdhanses

WKR
Thanks all. I pulled the tripped on the Swaro ATS. Cabelas had a 10% off online coupon + my Cabelas Bucks ... knocked a grand off - Done deal! I still need to decide on a tripod and head and greatly appreciate all of the insights from folks here!
So you’ll want a good tripod, I’d take your savings and expect to use 50-70% of it to support that spotter. Don’t go cheap as you’ll not be happy when it makes using the ATX difficult as that is a heavy spotter.

I just bought a kf concept tripod that goes upto 66” tall, has a 22 pound weight rating, and weighs 3 pounds with a ball head on it. I’m sure there are better. This thing is solid though. And, doesn’t weigh a lot for a tripod that tall. I paid a whopping $49 for it. Check them out on the big auction site.

Marble

WKR
I would buy the glass based on my plans for the remaining hunting career. Something that can do everything/ anything.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
I started hunting goats with a Pentax 65ed and a slik mini 2 aluminum tripod. Now it’s a swaro 65ats with the same tripod plus a manfrotto rc700 head. A little heavier but goat country is tough on gear and I prefer the pan head over the ball head.

I’m in the camp that anything better than you average budget spotter will suffice for goats. And get good at judging between female and males, younger juvenile Billy’s vs mature.