Opinions on adding Taget turets to a scope that I already have.

Zbowman1

WKR
I am sure a few of you remember about a month ago when I posted a thread on weather or not to buy a Savage Rifle. Well I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. This will be my first build. To save a little money right now a buddy suggested that I have the target turrets installed on a Leupold scope I already own. The scope is a 4-12x50 VX-2. I know this is not ideal but I was wondering what some of your opinions were on this. Has anyone ever had this done? What's the cost and what were some of the positives and negatives of doing this? The Rifle is a Savage model 111 long range hunter in 300wm.

Whisky

WKR
I've had it done. Have to look when I get home to see what the costs were. But I also had a reticle swapped. I think it's around $60 per turret, so $120 for both elevation and windage, plus shipping.

I say do it. Nothing wrong with that scope for now. Leupolds have enough internal elevation to justify M1's even in their 1" models. There are no negatives, other then costs. The positives, obviously, you get some decent working turrets.

Edit: I wouldn't add target turrets though...I would add the M1 knobs. The target turrets are taller, and capped. The M1s are uncapped, and beefier. More of a tactical knob then a target.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it would be worth it short term to do it also. I would definetely go with the tactical knob over the target turrets, night and day for function in hunting situation. If you are concerned your 1" tube may not have enough vertical adjustment, change out your mount to a 20 MOA single rail and that will help you get more out of it.

packer58

WKR
I would second the M1 "MOA" turret. I sent one of my Leupolds off to there custom shop a few years back and had the elevation turret installed, seems to me that the cost was $60.00 or so. The beauty of the MOA turret is that the turret is not load specific. Build yourself a drop chart based on individual load ballistics and your good to go. Not that i'm a die hard long range hunter or even an advocate for the long range sport but I killed a bull in Nevada at 637 +/- in 2011 and the system was flawless. I would not have taken the shot if there was any way to close the distance but there was just no way.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I prefer the target turrets for hunting myself. I like having the turrets covered so I don't have to worry about them moving while I'm hiking. If I'm shooting far enough to need to adjust my scope, I have plenty of time to spin the cap off and dial the scope. This is what works for me.

OP
Z

Zbowman1

WKR
Thanks guys. Sounds like the M1 nobs are the way to go. I will be contacting Leupold today and try and get some current pricing. I will post up if anyone is interested.
Rosinbag, I was thinking the same thing so I had a buddy swing by Nightforce the other day and grab that exact rail. Nice to live 25mins away form some of these places.