Opinions on APA Archery

I'm considering ordering a new bow from APA Archery (leaning toward the Mamba 33) and would be curious to hear others' opinions/experiences. The reviews I've found on other forums have been overwhelmingly positive, but it's a relatively small sample size since APA is a lesser known brand. The main reasons APA's bows appeal to me are:
1) Availability of 80# limbs
2) Split yokes on both cams
3) Ability to yoke tune and change string/cables without a bow press

I just picked up a used APA Mamba 34 TF to use for elk hunting. It has 80lbs limbs. When I bought the bow I had the correct module according to APA for a 29" draw length. It felt really long to me, so I called and ordered one size smaller. I guess that's fairly common with APA and the owner told me on the phone that they "feel" longer than other brands. Not an issue for me, I just ordered the correct size.

I put the modules on and started tuning. The bow seems very sensitive to adjustment. A half twist in the cable put a ton of rotation in the cam. I finally got it timed but the bow still wasn't showing good arrow flight. I have now ordered new string and cables because the stock ones are pretty bad. Hopefully when the new threads come in a can get it dialed and ready for next season.

Draw cycles are so subjective but I will say, I thought the cams would be a lot more harsh than what they are. I actually really enjoy the draw cycle and the back wall is great with the RDS.

If feels light and weighed right at 3.9 lbs on my scale. The fang is a super handy feature and I can see myself using it a lot. The soft touch armor is great. Has a nice feeling in the hand and is tacky enough that my hand doesn't slip too far into the throat of the grip.

I think if you plan on getting two draw mods (your DL and one size smaller) and a good set of custom strings you will be set.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
I shot an APA Taipan (old model) years ago and absolutely fell in love with that bow. The grip was fantastic and the bow just had all the useful tools that you do not need to keep in your bag. Keep in mind with them being a split yoke buy the best custom strings money will allow and tuning should not be that much of a problem. But I'm also looking at getting a 33 in 80lbs and really wish someone would do some speed reports with a 550 or 600 grain arrow.

Shot a viper for years and really enjoyed it with awesome accuracy out 70 yards, not great speeds but it was older and had plenty of features I enjoyed. The carry handle and the gang are awesome for white tail hunts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Mighty Mouse
buy the best custom strings money will allow
Care to share your preferred string maker(s)? My last string/cable purchase was from Twisted X, and I've been happy with them but I don't have any basis to claim they're the absolute best option out there.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
Care to share your preferred string maker(s)? My last string/cable purchase was from Twisted X, and I've been happy with them but I don't have any basis to claim they're the absolute best option out there.
I was about to say Twisted X but also Gas Bow strings, Freedom strings and I'm sure I'm missing plenty of other good custom bow string companies. But Twisted X and Freedom Strings are my go to.

I shot the mamba last year at a sport show. I really liked the feel and was seriously considering ordering one but ended up with a broken bow mid season and purchased something one of the local archery shops had in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cody_W

WKR
Their new Mamba looks mean. I’ve debated picking up a King Cobra for a spare with 90lb limbs but haven’t seen enough reviews by people. Advertised speeds are incredible.

Last edited:

b-Rant

FNG
Been shooting the M6 for 7 years now, my father shoots the M7 and they have been rock solid. They are fast, lite and easy to carry with the built in handle. It’s a feature that I’ll be hard pressed to go away from. The newer bows have become every bit as smooth and dead in the hand as the “top dogs” yet still maintain great speed. I would definitely recommend a good long look At these bows.

My M6 is running at 283fps @ 60lbs and 29.5” draw with 445g Vap TKO for reference.