Opinions on a Arizona Unit

Planning on an OTC archery hunt in January, I've done a ton of e-scouting and have read all of the "Where to Hunt" section for this unit on the Arizona Game and Fish site just wanted to get some "real" opinions from people who have been there.

Buckshotaz

Lil-Rokslider
January in most of 27 could have lots of snow, the southern portion is very rough country. Look at unit 28

Bring some warm clothes, a lot of good deer in 27. If your not afraid to hike you shouldn't have a problem finding good bucks. Get up on a high point and glass.

Codyk315

FNG
Hunted bear in 27 this past April (way to early this year!). Great country, and a lot of it. Top to bottom it is a very diverse unit. We saw a ton of deer and deer sign. I would say pay attention to the weather as it could be very nice to cold and snowy that time of year.

dtrkyman

WKR
Have hunted it twice, tons of deer, fairly easy access not much pressure, not where I have been anyway.

Very tricky to stalk these jokers, always something messing me up! Me includedo_O

AZ32

FNG
Worst unit in the state... 😂

Nah +1 on what everyone has said so far. Good unit but rough and weather dependent.

Been looking at units 27/28 and 34A/35A also. This is good news to hear. Starting scouting this coming weekend, so hopefully I’ll see something moving around.

OP
Upchurch_k
Hopefully you will judge, unfortunately it's not really doable for me to take a scouting trip. Good luck, if you felt like it and wanted to PM me I'd be interested to hear if you saw anything.

I'm heading to Unit 27 next this weekend from Michigan. Anybody have any advice on deer patterns/behavior up top there this time of year?

If you want to message me i can share some insight with you i live in 27 and have hunted it all my life. Great bucks seen a really nice one the other day when i went fishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Claven113

FNG
I've been looking into 27 and I've only heard good things , but that's just it , all I've heard is it's a good unit to hunt. Any insight or advice on the unit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks bro.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Claven113

FNG
If you want to message me i can share some insight with you i live in 27 and have hunted it all my life. Great bucks seen a really nice one the other day when i went fishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey bro , I would more than appreciate any insight whatsoever you could give me. I've been out four times since the otc archery only hunt opened on the 24th and all I've seen is one doe. Thanks again bro , I really appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

AZmark

WKR
Planning on an OTC archery hunt in January, I've done a ton of e-scouting and have read all of the "Where to Hunt" section for this unit on the Arizona Game and Fish site just wanted to get some "real" opinions from people who have been there.
So did you do any good hunting Unit 27 this year? Just wondering as I live in 27. Have lived or hunted here all my life. One of my sons hunted one weekend and didnt do any good. I went out several times and had no luck.

OP
Upchurch_k
So did you do any good hunting Unit 27 this year? Just wondering as I live in 27. Have lived or hunted here all my life. One of my sons hunted one weekend and didnt do any good. I went out several times and had no luck.

I guess it depends on your definition of luck. My buddy and I set out with very realistic expectations of an OTC archery hunt in a unit that neither of us had ever set foot in. We had a great trip, saw an average of 10 deer per day with a good mix of Mule Deer and Coues, we saw a couple of really quality bucks of both species.

We found a great campsite that we could glass from and we were able to chase a few coveys of some Gambel's quail from camp.

We glassed up a Mule Deer one afternoon that I would guess to go somewhere close to 175" - 180", from 1,000 yards away we could tell he was a stud.

We were on a decent Mule Deer for 2 days but he had 2 spikes and 3 does with him and we weren't able to get much closer than 100 yards.

I made a pretty good stalk on what we thought was a nice little Coues that turned out to be a Coues doe, I was able to get to 25 yards so it was a great little practice stalk.

We saw some Javelina and a Coatimundi, when I bumped the Javelina I was within 15 yards but I didn't have a tag.

We talked to 1 group that had success, a guy was able to seal the deal on a pretty decent Coues, I would ballpark the buck at probably close to 80".

All in all it was a great trip and we're planning on being back January of 2021. Feel free to PM me and we can talk more specifics if you want, I just don't want to make them public.