Opinions on best time of year for fur

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
Well we're basically in no man's land as far as hunting season goes, not quite in the thick of tag season and not quite to spring bear and turkey. I've been going stir crazy the past couple weeks as ice fishing season winds down and I am wanting to get out for some predators. I have a spot where I've seen wolf sign and I'm sure there's some coyotes around as well. More than anything, I'm wanting to help out the ungulates as this is a place that carries a lot of moose, whitetail and elk. My question is what to expect as far as fur quality this time of year. I live in south-central Montana and it's been pretty warm the past week or so. As a general rule, when do wolves and coyotes start to shed their winter coats in your experience in this general region? I understand it can vary quite a bit depending on various factors, and even if fur quality isn't great this time of year it won't dissuade me from managing some predators. Just wondering what to expect as I daydream about getting back into the woods again.

wytx

WKR
I wouldn't expect much if it's been warm for several days.
This time of the year down here in Wyoming, coyotes have lost their guards hairs due to snow rubbing etc and are not worth much at all except for saving some fawns this spring.
I bet some local Montana guys will chime in though.

OP
PablitoPescador

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't expect much if it's been warm for several days.
This time of the year down here in Wyoming, coyotes have lost their guards hairs due to snow rubbing etc and are not worth much at all except for saving some fawns this spring.
I bet some local Montana guys will chime in though.
My thoughts exactly. Fawns and calves are gonna be dropping soon and gotta get em thinned out. Very helpful, thanks!

WCB

WKR
Well we're basically in no man's land as far as hunting season goes, not quite in the thick of tag season and not quite to spring bear and turkey. I've been going stir crazy the past couple weeks as ice fishing season winds down and I am wanting to get out for some predators. I have a spot where I've seen wolf sign and I'm sure there's some coyotes around as well. More than anything, I'm wanting to help out the ungulates as this is a place that carries a lot of moose, whitetail and elk. My question is what to expect as far as fur quality this time of year. I live in south-central Montana and it's been pretty warm the past week or so. As a general rule, when do wolves and coyotes start to shed their winter coats in your experience in this general region? I understand it can vary quite a bit depending on various factors, and even if fur quality isn't great this time of year it won't dissuade me from managing some predators. Just wondering what to expect as I daydream about getting back into the woods again.
You are going to see very wooly Coyotes and Wolves with probably very rubbed shoulders and flanks. With the warm weather they will start rubbing pretty good so the hair on the sides of the body will be very short compared to their backs. You will want to target mid-late NOV through mid Feb depending on weather.

However, any wolf would be a treat.

OP
PablitoPescador

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
You know, one thing I didn’t really take into consideration is the elevation of this spot. It’s at about 7,000 feet and although it’s been warm where I live I’m sure it’s been quite a bit cooler there. I guess the best way to find out is to put a couple on the ground and see for myself.

Legend

WKR
You know, one thing I didn’t really take into consideration is the elevation of this spot. It’s at about 7,000 feet and although it’s been warm where I live I’m sure it’s been quite a bit cooler there. I guess the best way to find out is to put a couple on the ground and see for myself.
You previous qoute is still accurate for Montana. By mid February quality slides in my experience.