Opinions on BlackOvis Merino

DrewPNW

FNG
I picked up a BlackOvis merino short sleeve t-shirt, beanie, and neck gaiter off CamoFire. I haven’t had a chance to use them in the field yet, but I like that they’re not itchy, which probably speaks more to the fact that they’re a 50/50 blend.

Considering they pop up fairly often on CamoFire for reasonable prices, I wanted to get anyone’s opinion who has experience with these and other BO merino pieces... before I go crazy and round out the collection.

Thanks!

Redarrow

FNG
I got the medium weight quarter zip. I’ve worn it twice now and it has numerous small holes. Won’t be buying another.

OP
DrewPNW

DrewPNW

FNG
I got the medium weight quarter zip. I’ve worn it twice now and it has numerous small holes. Won’t be buying another.

sorry to hear that, whelp I’ll keep on searching for an affordable option. I was lucky enough to inherit a FirstLite merino hoodie, so mainly looking for boxers / bottoms.

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
I have a t-shirt and gloves. Gloves are just OK, not very insulating even as a liner glove. The t-shirt is good when it's cold as a bottom layer, but if I sweat in it it gets this slimy slick texture that feels weird against my skin. Might just be me, but I haven't ever had that feeling in anything else I own.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
The thigh seams of the boxer briefs are sewn too tight and the seams don't stretch. I will not buy them again.

I have the lightweight hoody, midweight hoody and gloves. I wore my lightweight hoody all spring and summer here in Colorado. I absolutely love it. Midweight is nice as a 2nd layer. The gloves are ok, I wear them on top of my fingerless talus from first lite if it gets cold. Nothing has holes and very little piling. The only complaint is getting the sizing right. I think I have a 2XL in the midweight when I normally wear a L/XL.

Clarence

WKR
Love the t shirt and boxers. Sounds like boxers don't work for guys with thick legs. I prefer it to the kuiu and hells canyon speed stuff I have, but thats my only point of reference.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
DrewPNW

DrewPNW

FNG
The thigh seams of the boxer briefs are sewn too tight and the seams don't stretch. I will not buy them again.

I've seen several reviews that say the boxers are pretty ill-fitting, but the rest of their pieces seem pretty well reviewed. Thanks for the input

OP
DrewPNW

DrewPNW

FNG
Been using their merino for years no problems at all real nice for the price you can get it for on camofire
Well based on the otherwise positive reviews I think I'll do that, start scoping out their stuff whenever it shows up on CF....

except the boxers lol

Thanks all!

OP
DrewPNW

DrewPNW

FNG
I have the lightweight hoody, midweight hoody and gloves. I wore my lightweight hoody all spring and summer here in Colorado. I absolutely love it. Midweight is nice as a 2nd layer. The gloves are ok, I wear them on top of my fingerless talus from first lite if it gets cold. Nothing has holes and very little piling. The only complaint is getting the sizing right. I think I have a 2XL in the midweight when I normally wear a L/XL.

Yeah I'll watch out for that. I'm 6'2" 225 and usually wear an XL shirt. The XL short sleeve T is practically a muscle shirt on me. It's not a huge deal as a base layer, but it would've been nice to be able to wear just the t-shirt on hotter days and not look like a tool.

westward_archer

Lil-Rokslider
Great options in my opinion. Run somewhat small for me but mine have held up for 2 years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honyock

WKR
I've used their boxers (and yes the thighs are on the snug side),150/200 tops as well as the Granite Peak pants. I have no complaints with Blackovis although it would be nice if their tops came in a camo option. For the price that you pay on Camofire it's hard to beat the value of their merino.

OP
DrewPNW

DrewPNW

FNG
So my Black Ovis merino t-shirt was one of my best performing pieces this last weekend, which was very nasty weather in the Oregon Coast Range. Despite heavy rain, and after 6 miles plus some decent elevation change with a pack (so lots of sweat) I got back to camp to strip my layers off to dry, and by the time I got everything arranged my t-shirt was nearly dry. I was amazed and ended up just leaving it on. The shirt never left my skin the whole weekend. The neck gaiter was fantastic as well.

I will definitely expand my collection, starting with leg thermals.