Opinions on block/cube type targets?

I am looking to get a block type target that I can throw in my truck and get some shooting in while camping, at home, at base camp on a hunt, etc...

Do any of you guys shoot these targets? it would get the occasinal broad head, though I would do most of my BH tuning at a local pro shop. I have heard bad things about "block" targets, that they fall apart after a few hundred arrows, and you start to get pass throughs. i have heard good thing about Rinehart targets, though want to know what you guys shoot / think.

OR Archer

WKR
Any layered foam target isn’t going to last especially with Broadheads. Get a Rinehart 18-1. Very long life and easy to transport to camp.

For the most part just like anything else, you get what you pay for. If you usually shoot at a range with provided targets and will only use the block target occasionally as you said then a cheaper one will work but plan on buying at least one every year under that circumstance. If you spend the money on a more dense foam such as a the 18 in 1 it should last a few years in the use you described. In the end it all depends on the use. No matter the target obviously bh's are gonna do alot more damage. Personally im cheap and even though I shoot at home almost daily from spring to fall with an occasional range trip, I still buy the 40-50$ targets and go through a couple a year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JohnnyB

WKR
The 18-1 has lasted me two years and appears to be good for at least one or two more. I rarely shoot broad heads into it and I also don’t leave it out in the sun/weather.

chindits

WKR
Ditto on above. I never had a block last more than a season. But shot out blocks are great platforms for setting my rineharts on when I shoot in town in my backyard. I just have the hard plastic bottom facing the shooter.

All my rineharts were blems and I wouldn’t ever want to pay full price for them. You definitely want to keep them inside and warm if you shoot in the winter.

OP
sickles107
Ditto on above. I never had a block last more than a season. But shot out blocks are great platforms for setting my rineharts on when I shoot in town in my backyard. I just have the hard plastic bottom facing the shooter.

All my rineharts were blems and I wouldn’t ever want to pay full price for them. You definitely want to keep them inside and warm if you shoot in the winter.

Where do you go about getting a blem?

Rob5589

WKR
My 18-1 has a ton of shots and can take a ton more. 90% field points, however. Super portable so I always bring it and leave it in camp. It is pretty small so I usually place it on a stump to get it off the ground.

ILph4

Lil-Rokslider
Where do you go about getting a blem?

I bought a rhino block on eBay with blemishes for $130. Target just had a little green paint not as defined as should be but functional like it should. Plus the replacement core can be had for $40 dollars or so. A core typically last me most of if not all of the spring and summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The Rinehart 18-1 or Rinoblock is what you want. They're both great camp targets. I had an 18-1 and after shooting it out I got the Rinoblock. Now I only use the Rinioblock to take to base camp. I set it on a camp chair and shoot away. In a couple of my camping spots I can get back to at least 90 yards.

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
I have had a small block target for years. That I bring to hunting camp just for everybody to practice on and test a few broad heads. its held up well for that purpose. There are better choices for shooting thousands of arrows at though

The rhinoblock is awesome I shot the hell out of mine spring summer into fall and brought it with me to camp and would shoot every couple days, I’ve shot thousands of field points into it and probably 3-500 broadheads into it. The core is chewed up but I still haven’t had one pass through so I’ll keep using it till I do. I just got a spiderweb for field points so I’ll just use the rhinoblock for broadheads now

chindits

WKR
I think csmofire if my recollection serves me. If not there then I just don’t remember where the blems came from. I bought 2 a couple years ago.

The 18-1 has lasted me two years and appears to be good for at least one or two more. I rarely shoot broad heads into it and I also don’t leave it out in the sun/weather.

Mine is 10 yrs old and still holding up well even after extensive BH abuse. Goes with me on every trip.

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
I leave a rhinoblock out behind my house year-round (CA weather...). It's easy to fit in a few ends in between honey-dos. Them and the 18-1 are worth every dollar to me.