Opinions on clothing for November Mule deer hunt.

Starting from no quality (walmart specials) hunting clothes I'm finally at a point where I'd like to invest in quality hunting clothing that will last. Keeping in mind that I am trying not to blow my savings account.

This year I drew out a good Mule deer tag that ends in November, so I figure I better be best set up for that.

Normally I'm a cold blooded individual whenever I'm around a bunch of other people I'm always the coldest person on the group. I'm in decent shape at 175 lbs and 6' so I don't think I have circulation issues. Maybe I'm just a wimp?

I already started with i think a good foundation and took advantage of the First lite sale. I went with a Kiln quarter zip top and then bottoms.

My unit can get really cold and snowy and since I'm pretty cold blooded I think I want to go with Kryptek Aegis jacket and bibs, is that a sensible idea?

I haven't started the search for insulated boots or socks yet but I'm open to advice?

Hope I'm not just shooting in the dark but figured being open to your ideas is better than me keeping it all in my head.

OP
C
in Idaho. Looks like elevation in bottom starts around 5500 and peaks that I'll have access to are around 9000 feet. There are even taller peaks but I'm thinking the snow will limit my foot access.

Last edited:

mattbjo

FNG
The kuiu superdown is super warm when used as a mid layer and packs tiny and weighs almost nothing. Don’t wear as an outer layer as it will rip and get ruined but I’d look for some used pieces as they are expensive new but you won’t regret it

If you were already thinking Kryptek take a look at the Vellus jacket and pants. Not the lightest but windproof, lightly insulated, quiet and warm. Robby did a good review on them a few years in a row.

If interested in other brands or systems that may be more functional outside of late season cold let us know.

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe look at the Sitka jetstream jacket or vest. Has a wind stop layer. With a decent outer shell you can layer your kiln or other bases underneath

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
I always like a good puffy, but I would classify them in two ways. I own a Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody, and a Kelvin WS Hoody. The former is a good layering piece for when you’re active. It’s not as bulky as the latter and is mapped such that there is less insulation in high heat areas such as the arm pits. It will shed some light precip. The latter is big and heavier and not good for when you’re active, but dang luxurious. It’s nice when you’re in camp or sitting glassing, but if you’re on the move, forget it.

If you could only get one, I would say the former. It’s more versatile as a layering piece. Sitka doesn’t have a monopoly on these. I believe it would be similar to Kuiu Super Down Ultra, Kenai, or the FL Uncompahgre.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You just missed a 25% sale from Kryptek. Puts you right in line with prices from the anti hunting outdoor brands from a company that actually supports hunting. You wouldn't want to hike anywhere in those Aegis bibs and jacket. You'd sweat, then cool off and freeze.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jhill1980

FNG
Starting from no quality (walmart specials) hunting clothes I'm finally at a point where I'd like to invest in quality hunting clothing that will last. Keeping in mind that I am trying not to blow my savings account.

This year I drew out a good Mule deer tag that ends in November, so I figure I better be best set up for that.

Normally I'm a cold blooded individual whenever I'm around a bunch of other people I'm always the coldest person on the group. I'm in decent shape at 175 lbs and 6' so I don't think I have circulation issues. Maybe I'm just a wimp?

I already started with i think a good foundation and took advantage of the First lite sale. I went with a Kiln quarter zip top and then bottoms.

My unit can get really cold and snowy and since I'm pretty cold blooded I think I want to go with Kryptek Aegis jacket and bibs, is that a sensible idea?

I haven't started the search for insulated boots or socks yet but I'm open to advice?

Hope I'm not just shooting in the dark but figured being open to your ideas is better than me keeping it all in my head.
Cameron,

Have you seen the camofire.com website? They offer daily discount deals on good hunting and fishing gear. If you watch it on a regular basis you can come across some killer deals. Idahohikker had a great response with looking at Outdoor research and other backcountry apparel companies that have affordable, quality gear.